License reciprocity in other countries? (XPost)

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Can anyone enlighten me as to how other nations view our FAA certificates? For instance, could I rent in Australia, England, etc etc with my PPL?

I've flown in the Bahamas, but with a plane rented in the US, so it wasn't an issue.

In New Zealand, on the other hand, I needed to get a New Zealand PPL after flying with their equivalent of a DPE before I could act as PIC.

I'm sure you could always go up with a local instructor! Depending on how long you're going to be flying there, it's probably well worth it. Even though I had a New Zealand PPL, I always had a local pilot (albeit not a CFI) with me to help point out local reporting points and customs. It made it much more enjoyable!

I've never tried, so this is second hand info. But my understanding for England is that you can fly and be PIC in an "N" numbered aircraft, i.e. an FAA registered aircraft, which apparently are not particularly rare there. But not in a British registered aircraft.

Jim G

grattonja said:
I've never tried, so this is second hand info. But my understanding for England is that you can fly and be PIC in an "N" numbered aircraft, i.e. an FAA registered aircraft, which apparently are not particularly rare there. But not in a British registered aircraft.

Jim G

AFaIK, you should be OK in a US registered aircraft in any country that subscribes to ICAO rules with your US pilot LIC, at least for day/VFR. Using a locally registered airplane OTOH is likely to require some kind of extra effort.

Australia is a piece of cake (for VFR flight, anyway). A little paperwork, a little money, and *bam*- you'se a-flyin'!

I have already scoped out where to rent some very nice Bonanzas in Melbourne, for my next Australian trip (my sister lives there). Not outrageously expensive.

http://www.lilydaleairport.com.au/

VERY nice people.

in British Columbia I just went up with an instructor (I don't have my PPL yet anyway). that was very easy, no paperwork, and nice to have someone to talk to - especially someone who really knew the area.

Generally speaking, you can fly an N-reg aircraft anywhere in the world with your US pilot certificate. You can generally fly a plane registered in another ICAO signatory country in the airspace of that country with your US Pvt or higher pilot certificate. To fly a plane registered in one country in the airspace of another with a pilot certificate from a third is generally not permitted. However, you can generally get a pilot certificate with private privileges in any other ICAO country by presenting your US pilot certificate (Pvt or higher) and taking a written rules test in that country. Thus, you can go to the UK, present your license, take their rules test, get a British PPL, and fly a G-reg plane all over Europe. I do not know what this costs or how long it takes to arrange.

Last edited:
Back