Letter from the FAA about my information

marcoseddi

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
marc
So I got a letter a few weeks ago stating I can opt out of having my information to the public. Have you guys all got this letter? it asks for my certificate # which I don't have I dont know if they got my info from me doing my Medical or taking the written test.

Your license number is on your medical. The opt'ing in or out is for the FAA page where you can search for airmen information. So if you opt out you're name will still be in the database but your physical address will not be listed. So if your local area is trying to get all the pilots within 50nm of the airport your name will not show up because it won't fall into the query. If you were to look me up you'd find my name/adddress and everything else...yeah yeah identity theft but if anyone wants that info it's not that hard to find anywhere else.

THe FAA refuses to obey their exception to the privacy act. I've been all around this. Opting out only gets you two things:

1. Mailing address deleted.
2. You get deleted from the databases sent out to other people.

The illegal dissemination of your rating information as well as all your medical information and whether or not you have a special issuance continues to be available on the public FAA airman registry site.

I've been using it as scrap paper in the office I'm a doodler when I'm on the phone but meaning to send it in no reason to be out there more than needed.

On my medical is it the # all the way on the top right that starts GX-738333 or is it the applicant # on the bottom under augment signature?

Thanks

Haven't seen hide nor hair of it. I'd love to not have anyone who googles my tail number get my address.

There's no option for OPTING OUT of the REGISTRATION database. The best you can do is register the airplane in the name of a corporate (or similar) entity that is not so easy to look up on line.

The Federal PRIVACY ACT puts strong limitations on the databases that the government keeps on PERSONS (as opposed to aircraft which is property). The FAA caught wind that they were violating this by making the airman data public back in the 1990's. They got a limited exemption as part of AIR-21 which requires them to send you that letter allowing you to opt out.

The problem is, that they MISREPRESENT that opt out. The LAW says that you opt out of "ALL DATA" where the FAA blocks only your address. Further, my contention is that the exemption only applies to pilot certificates and ratings. The stuff on your medical should not be there whether you opt out or not.

The disingenous LIARS at the IG and the registry feed all sorts of bull about his information to include:

1. Legislative history shows the intent was purely for the postal address. This is bunk. In fact, I dug through the several weeks of history on AIR-21 (the FAA appropriations bill this was part of). There's no "history" in the proposal other than it's mere insertion into the legislation.

2. It is necessary for employers of pilots to get that information. Also bunk. The FAA has a different, not PUBLICALLY, accessible system for vetting airline employees. The airlines should not be using the public airman registry. It's not the one that's been vetted for that purpose.

It was easier getting NIGHT fixed.

Last edited:
Back