letter from FAA

U

Unregistered

Hi, I have not been active on here for awhile due to work/life!
I had questions answered from you guys before so thought I would ask a few more

I had my exam back in april and then had to have my Dr send some paperwork,( test results
for thyroid, past anxiety ) the thyroid was the one they wanted more info on.

After one attempt I got a letter from FAA they wanted more proof that thyroid was managed so I sent letter to my Dr asking for more info and never heard back from him. I got busy and let it go except I did send a letter to theFAA asking/explaining that my Dr hadn't got back to me and that I couldn't afford a bunch of exspensive tests anyways.

so long story short I have not heard back from FAA, so is this normal,have I been denied
officially? I thought I would get a denied letter or something. Is there a time frame,could I go LSA ? Thanks for any help

I did send a letter to theFAA asking/explaining that my Dr hadn't got back to me and that I couldn't afford a bunch of exspensive tests anyways.

Why would you think that the FAA would care about how expensive it will be and how busy your doctor is?

What did the first letter say would happen if you didn't respond within 60 days?

For sport pilot, you must:
" Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

(3) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn;"

There is no time frame. Fail and you are done.

Last edited:
Why not have the blood test done to check the thyroid level and if it is not in limits get on the meds or have them adjusted and retest.

I guess my question to you should have been "Do they send a rejection/denied letter or is it implied because I did not get an approval/accepted letter?"

Then I was wondering if there is a time frame before you would be able to try again or is
one and your done kind of thing.

I am on thyroid med and it is managed they wanted basicly the same info as the first letters
and I dropped the ball I guess (my fault) and kind of forgot about it for awhile.

The letter was not sent for sympathy,just my way to express my frustration with all the needless regs (Ididn't put it that way,I was nice and professional!) I don't think it is much different than sending letters to have the 3rd class revised. Why should they care about that either, just my way of venting to them a little.

Thyroid tests are not that expensive. If your regular tests were relatively recent, they wouldn't have cost anything. Stopping down at your doctors office and faxing them to OKC would have been enough and probably all that was needed.

You probably have been denied, and it is most likely easily fixed. Call your AME, or call an AME in the know, such as Dr. Bruce who is referred here often.

All they want to know is that your thyroid function is in the normal range corrected, and that you take your medication regularly to keep it there.

(you probably need to convince them that you take this issue seriously, and your lack of effort to show that to them, probably doesn't help your case either...) I'm not sure I agree that these inquires are "needless" either. Uncorrected thyroid can leave you really lethargic. Not exactly what I want my pilot to feel like in an emergency, or even in normal flight, you know what I mean?

Then I was wondering if there is a time frame before you would be able to try again or is
one and your done kind of thing.

If you missed the deadline for getting the information in, you have to start back at square 1 (do the medical exam all over). Be sure to have the information the FAA requested with you before you go.

I am on thyroid med and it is managed they wanted basicly the same info as the first letters
It could be they wanted the letter worded the way they wanted the letter worded. There was probably a sentence in the first request that the FAA needed repeated back word for word so they can check off the box on their form.

Find a Senior AME.

Thanks for the help you guys! I just wasn't sure about if they sent a "DENIED STAY ON THE GROUND" letter or not :) But if I can at least try again that's good and if I do I will have my ducks in a row.

I would guess that if I decide to do this I would have to inform them that I had been denied before?

Thyroid is an AASI.

You blew it and your AME sucks.

Getting issued is a no brainer.

Paging Dr. Bruce.. paging Dr. Bruce... oh ****!! He doesn't come here no-mo - somebody ran him off.

Thyroid is an AASI.
Even simpler, it's a CACI.
You blew it and your AME sucks.

Getting issued is a no brainer.
Yep. But as others said, it's fixable with a new exam, done by an AME who knows the FAA certification criteria well (better than the OP's first AME anyway).

The main thing is NOT to do a live exam (confirmation code from MedExpress entered into the system) until the AME says the thyroid documentation will pass muster with OKC. The way to do that is to (a) not walk into the AME's office until you have all the docs the FAA asked for and (b) schedule your visit to the AME as a consultation with the understanding that you will do an exam if and only if the AME approves the docs. If necessary, don't hand over the confirmation code until he says yes. The AME will probably charge you more than he would for a simple exam, but it will be worth it.

Even simpler, it's a CACI.

Yep. But as others said, it's fixable with a new exam, done by an AME who knows the FAA certification criteria well (better than the OP's first AME anyway).

The main thing is NOT to do a live exam (confirmation code from MedExpress entered into the system) until the AME says the thyroid documentation will pass muster with OKC. The way to do that is to (a) not walk into the AME's office until you have all the docs the FAA asked for and (b) schedule your visit to the AME as a consultation with the understanding that you will do an exam if and only if the AME approves the docs. If necessary, don't hand over the confirmation code until he says yes. The AME will probably charge you more than he would for a simple exam, but it will be worth it.

Good point. It is a CACI. Mine was an AASI but it is no longer an SI. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll say it again.
Issuance is a no brainer.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org.../aam/ame/guide/media/C-CACIHypothyroidism.pdf

The AME you went to still sucks.

Own your medical.

No one answered the one question he asked that is probably the most important one:

Has he been denied, or does the application just go away until he complies?

No one answered the one question he asked that is probably the most important one:

He WILL be denied if he does not (or has not) submit(ted) the requested docs within the time frame stated in the letter he received.

And I'd bet he HAS heard back from them...they are slow on some ends but not on others...

Nobody can know the answer to that because they haven't seen the letter that the FAA sent. The basic answer is if he didn't follow the instructions on the note, he probably is denied, but no one really knows for sure.

The advice he was given "will" work for sure. Another exam with the appropriate documentation that he is medicated within guidelines is all that's needed for issuance.

He just needs medical guidance from a qualified AME and it's pretty clear he doesn't have one of those at the moment or he wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Maybe I am the only one who can't read this post because of the acronyms. I'm guessing that SI = Special Issuance. What are the others?

AASI=AME Assisted Special Issuance
CACI=Conditions AME Can Issue

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back