Let's try it from another angle

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Instead of enumerating the merits of an aircraft purchase, let's go from this angle: Try to talk someone out of forming a partnership in a light multi. List your reasons why it isn't a good idea. This exercise will help those of us who plan to do this in the future to know what we're up against!

Is it too early for nominations? I nominate this question for Q of the Year.

Why not? For starters, partners break even the most solid contract agreement by barely sliding by. Nothing outright, just fudging time after time.

They didn't record this year's tax form on time resulting in a lien and penalties.
They withhold monies until after the time period specified.
They don't accurately record hours flown.
They change the hanger door lock, leave out of town, don't tell you of the change.
They take the plane on the dates they said they wouldn't need it.
They don't squawk potential problems.

Last edited:
wangmyers said:
let's go from this angle: Try to talk someone out of forming a partnership in a light multi.

Which illconceived aspect did you wish to explore? The partnership, or the light multi?;)

They don't maintain proficiency in basic airmanship, IFR flight and/or multi-engine ops, thereby putting the partnership's assets at undue risk.

They don't share your attitudes on maintenance, upgrades, airworthiness, cleanliness, operation strategy, convenience and/or fairness, any of which may sabotage such a marriage of convenience.

They bail out after 9 months, rendering moot all of the time, money and effort you invested to create a partnership, find the right airplane, buy said airplane, get it up to standards, find it a home, put the corporation together, etc.

They treat the airplane like a rental, with all that implies.

They always seem to want to use it when you want to use it.

The single biggest factor is the partners involved. Good partners can make just about anything work. Anything less and you are headed for an expensive divorce.

Ed Guthrie said:
Which illconceived aspect did you wish to explore? The partnership, or the light multi?;)
Both!

What they said, Ben :)

BUT, if you find the right partners, partnerships are great! I have nothing but praise for my partners in both the R22 and the Archer. In the case of the R22, the partnership was set up specifically to buy N7527D. I owned the Archer but wasn't flying it enough (unlike the R22 -- sorry guys, I like flying helos better) and so I brought in two local pilots. In both cases everyone coughs up the money immediately when there is extraordinary maintenance, we get along well, everybody is a serious, careful pilot.

In both cases we established the ground rules up front, then put them in writing.

I like partnerships so well that two of my R22 partners and I are looking for an R44 to put into a new partnership :yes:

Partnerships are quite popular here at N99 and a fair number of aircraft here are owned by them.

YMMV!

Ken Ibold said:
any of which may sabotage such a marriage of convenience.
Anything less and you are headed for an expensive divorce.

UNHAPPY MARRIAGE:

"OK, honey.
We're here.
Come on out."

Attachments

• Unhappy Marriage.jpg
    Unhappy Marriage.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 18
Back