Lesson Report: Under the Hood

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
My regular instructor's daughter just gave birth to a brand new grand baby, so he's tied up for a few days dealing with (enjoying) the arrival of his new grand child! But I'm almost ready for my checkride, and I didn't want to delay training, so I called up my old instructor (Jack) and asked for an instrument lesson. I wasn't doing so well with hooded work before I solo'd, and I know I need a lot of practice time under the hood.

Jack and I met up at the airport at about 5:30. When we departed the winds were from about 220 at 9G15 or so. It was a little bumpy as I put on the hood during our climb out to about 3000.

After leveling off and getting the A/C trimmed pretty good he started off with me doing shallow turns, 10 degrees in each direction. Even with some distraction I was able to roll out on course and keep my altitude.

After the shallow turns we did some steeper turns, 30 deg of bank in each direction. Those were just as easy and I managed to roll out on course.

After the turns we did some unusual attitude recovery. Those were fun. Jack did a good job of positioning the aircraft in exactly the opposite position as I was expecting from the movements. I did fairly well with quick recoveries back to our course after each of them. Nothing too hard it appears. I just wish I could have looked out the window to really appreciate the attitude he placed us in. For one of the nose down recoveries I know we were pretty steep (probably 15-20 deg down angle) and banked 20 or 30 deg to the left.

After that we went to New Castle (UWL) where I porpoised a cross wind landing (1 bounce w/ a recovery because I was a little too fast on the approach). I know he wasn't impressed. :(

After Jack and I discussed the finer points of approach to landing in our C172 and the speeds that he thinks I should fly we departed UWL. He had me put the hood back on at about 300 ft AGL during the climb out. We worked on hooded climbs and descents and leveling off during course changes. I have some difficulty leveling off while still in a bank - I guess it was a lot to manage for me under the hood - this is something I want to practice more.

While still under the hood, jack tuned in a VOR and turned the OBS to a course and asked me where (in relationship to the station) I was to that station. I correctly answered! (He tuned in Muncie (MIE) and turned the OBS to 270 and it was showing from with a right needle, so we were to the south and west). We then captured that and I tracked the needle for a bit until he finally took the hood off to reveal that I was on short final to Alexandria (I99). :) I did a much better cross wind landing at Alexandria.

After landing and taxiing back at I99 we decided that we'd used up all of our time and headed back to Anderson where I did my best landing of the three.

I concentrated really hard on the hood work and I think I did a lot better than I've done in the past while under the hood. Practicing holding heading and altitude on my solo XC's has helped me a great deal.

All and all I was able to put 1.3 total hours in my log book with .8 under the hood. :)

I'm up to 71.6 total hours with 12.9 hours as PIC. I've completed all of my private pilot requirements and am now ready to begin my test prep. I'm studying every day for the written and I hope to get that knocked off in the next week or two!

It won't be long before we'll be seeing you over in "Cleared for the Approach" ! Good job !

Great job and get that written out of the way. You are well on your way to joining a very special group. Keep having fun.

Back