Lesson Plans

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Just curious how some of you CFI's do lesson plans. There are a few different ways I have seen. Here is my first attempt. I'm also curious how many lesson plans an applicant is expected to bring to the initial checkride. Cover the entire scope of private pilot training, or just a handful of select topics?

Title: Introductory Lesson and Flight

Objective: Introduce fundamentals of flight control, pre flight planning + checks, flight in a light aircraft, and explain post-flight procedures.

Schedule: As needed

Equipment: Aircraft, Weather Briefing Tools, Whiteboard, Forces of Flight diagram

Topics:

Pre Flight
Introduce four forces of flight, and primary flight controls / instruments + trim.
Squawk Book, Preflight inspection. Documents, Oil, Tiedowns, Check fuel and introduce fuel planning (duration of flight, quantity, fuel burn rate and always land with reserves).
Discuss aircraft fuel, electrical and engine systems.
Discuss weather breifing basics. (Windsock, METAR, TAF)
Discuss traffic pattern and collision avoidance procedures.
Introduce IMSAFE and basic ADM concepts.
Introduce Checklist Usage and Positive Exchange of Flight Controls

Flight
Checklist usage, aircraft starting procedures.
Taxiing and braking/ground handling. Control positioning on ground in windy conditions if applicable.
Normal takeoff, climb, straight and level, turns, descents, trimming. Practice positive exchange of controls, and verbalize traffic scanning techniques + pattern entry/exit and radio calls.
Post landing and aircraft shutdown checklists

Post Flight
Securing aircraft (tie downs, control locks, canopy covers)
Review of forces and flight controls
Brief student on next lesson and study materials (FAA Handbooks, Manuals)

Completion Standards

Display understanding of aircraft systems, checklists and preflight/postflight procedures. Understanding of four forces and primary control surfaces / instruments. Pay CFI in cash or single malt.

Last edited:
Looks good, but you forgot an important one...unless you're working for free.

I did a syllabus for private and commercial, and all lesson plans that would be needed for a generic student of each type. You can reuse a lot of them, for example steep turns, landings, etc. are all similar for each type of student. THe only differences are the tolerances and expectations of performance.

Single Malt? You're my kinda of CFI! :D

Mine are similar. Overview, objective, review, discuss/introduce, completion standards, schedule, materials required and additional assignments. I put mine on a fancy word template and put them in a binder for neatness.

Its funny, on my initial CFI at the FSDO (which I knocked out the park, despite coming to grips with the likley hood that I was probably going to fail it), I had a big ol' binder of lesson plans, everything from pre flight to chandells to IMSAFE.

I might have opened the binder, but I didnt really use it at all during the near 6hr oral.

Your format looks good, just be sure not to complicate it too much, it's just talking notes really. Also having a idea how long its going to take is a GOOD idea, especially when you start with real students.

Its funny, on my initial CFI at the FSDO (which I knocked out the park, despite coming to grips with the likley hood that I was probably going to fail it), I had a big ol' binder of lesson plans, everything from pre flight to chandells to IMSAFE.

I might have opened the binder, but I didnt really use it at all during the near 6hr oral.

Your format looks good, just be sure not to complicate it too much, it's just talking notes really. Also having a idea how long its going to take is a GOOD idea, especially when you start with real students.

I already talked to my FSDO examiner and he only wanted 1 lesson plan. So I made 15, mostly for my own study. For my commercial I made a binder too, I don't think I used it at all but making it helped me learn the material. There is just so much for the CFi.

All that for an intro flight?

Way too much info. This is an INTRODUCTORY flight.

All that for an intro flight?

Way too much info. This is an INTRODUCTORY flight.

Just to clarify I wrote this to be a flying lesson and not a 'discovery' flight. The first few lessons are going to be overwhelming. That's how it was for me anyway.

About 1 hour ground and .5 in the airplane.

Note that I wrote on the completion standards the student is only expected to understand the basic systems, what a checklist is, four forces and what the control surfaces do. I wouldn't expect him/her to be proficient in anything.

Here is another attempt. This is more focused on one task, maybe it is better.

Lesson Objective: The student will learn to control the aircraft in slow flight.

Completion Standards: The student must be able to maintain a specified airspeed, altitude and make gentle turns in a slow flight configuration.

Preflight Discussion:

Lesson Objective and Completion Standards
Angle of Attack
“Behind the power curve” Lift to drag ratio
P factor in low airspeed, high power situations
Importance of maintaining control at edge of flight envelope

Review:

Heading
Speed
Pitch/Power control
Coordinated Flight
G forces in turns

Introduction:

Slow flight demonstration
Incipient stalls

Postflight Discussion:

Critique Student performance
Preview Next Lesson

Some students learn well with structured classroom time and some application, others are the inverse (or think they are). Once they've seen the application gaining the understanding of how/why it happens is simpler and less overwhelming than starting with the down and dirty bits or aerodynamics. P-factor and adverse yaw come to mind as perfect examples where its easy to explain P-factor and the countermeasure but until you see it you'd never believe it.

An intro flight (really every flight) should empart some knowledge, teach some skill, keep the student engaged, and leave them with the knowledge that they aren't perfect and with the belief that they have the capacity to continue this progression!

For this lesson I like to explain in advance how the student will learn to use pitch, power, trim and rudder to slow the plane and then establish the power setting and attitude required for slow flight while maintaining heading throughout the changes.

When I work with students who are struggling with this maneuver I usually find that their prior CFI has not provided them with the logic, sequence, and sight-picture they need to successfully repeat it.

Here is another attempt. This is more focused on one task, maybe it is better.

Lesson Objective: The student will learn to control the aircraft in slow flight.

Completion Standards: The student must be able to maintain a specified airspeed, altitude and make gentle turns in a slow flight configuration.

Preflight Discussion:

Lesson Objective and Completion Standards
Angle of Attack
“Behind the power curve” Lift to drag ratio
P factor in low airspeed, high power situations
Importance of maintaining control at edge of flight envelope

Review:

Heading
Speed
Pitch/Power control
Coordinated Flight
G forces in turns

Introduction:

Slow flight demonstration
Incipient stalls

Postflight Discussion:

Critique Student performance
Preview Next Lesson

I had 35 lesson plans for my CFI ride and the inspector didn't ask to see them. The lesson I was assigned to teach (proper rudder coordination) wasn't one of the ones I made a plan for.

My advice would be to make sure you base your lesson plans on the material in the AFH and all three PTSes instead of just whatever feels right.

Here is my slow flight lesson plan if it helps any.

Attachments

• slowflight dms poa.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 16
Back