less than 5 years out from chemo

falcon9999

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
falcon9999
Have people seen a SI issued for stage 3 colon cancer or really any stage 3 cancer less than 5 years out from chemo. Especially if the person is completely back to normal.

This won't really answer your question, but...

I am 3 months out from chemo, for breast cancer. I went to an AME last week for BasicMed, and said something like, "Yeah, I know I'd never get the 3rd class, what with the cancer and all..." and the AME shrugged and said something like "Well, you COULD, it's just that you'd have to send the FAA stuff that they ask for, and it might take a few months."

I didn't inquire any more, since I'm content with BasicMed for now. And I don't know if colon cancer is seen any differently than breast cancer (or how the treatments differ, etc.) And mine was less than stage 3, but this AME didn't ask about the stage.

But this suggests that you should find an AME and schedule a "consult" -- that is, a chance to ask the question "what will the FAA require?" without actually doing the MedXpress thing -- because it may turn out to be easier than things sound when you read them on the FAA website. The only way to know is to ask.

Hope that helps,

wow you made my day, i do qualify for basic med and i can do that for now as i'm finishing out the time, plus basicmed seems to get almost all of the way to where I want to be. Hopefully later I can upgrade my medical.

Oh! Well in that case, yeah, do it, and score one more huzzah for BasicMed! You can't "fail" it, and you can always go back for the 3rd-class later.

Like finding the best cancer doc for your condition, a key to making a successful return to a 3rd class or better medical is finding the best AME. Make sure to search about for one who has lots of experience and success getting his/her airmen their certifications.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back