Legitimate? What say, y'all?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I advertised my good condition exhaust system, having upgraded to Power flow System. To those expressing interest(and the photos) I qualified that I could only compute freight cost if I were to know shipping destination. One party sent me this follow-up to my information.

"Hello Lawreston ,
Good Day , i am very glad for your swift response to my enquiry and also am very sorry for not getting back to you earlier .

Concerning the condition and price ,i am satisfied with and i would
like arrangements to be made on payment ,so please gt back to me with the
follwoing details for payment ,details needed are listed ....

Full Name :

Full Contact Address :

Zip Code :

Mobile Phone Number :

Home Phone Number:

So i await details shortly ,so that we could continue the purchase.
hanks alot."

I'm somewhat suspicious. It feels as though it might be an out of USA contact. The address is via Yahoo, but that could be far-reaching.

????????????(and he wants to pay by "checque.")

HR

Why mayby you hink that he no from here?

Please to send me same informations enclosing credit card number so we can investigates.

Lawreston said:
Now, that's funny, Bob!

I wouldn't even reply to that inquiry... I listed some things in my local newspaper's online ads and got tons of emails like that--they're bogus. Next thing you'll get is an offer for them to send you a cashier's check (oops, "chekque") for more than your asking price + shipping, and asking you to just send them the item plus any overage. The cashier's check will be forged. You'll be out your item plus your cash before the bank finds out the check is bad.

Run away, run away...

Or just don't ship untill the cheque clears. At least he did not say he would send a cheque for $1000 more than the asking price and for you to refund the rest.

JRitt said:
Or just don't ship untill the cheque clears. At least he did not say he would send a cheque for $1000 more than the asking price and for you to refund the rest.
That's basically how I'd handle it. You send me payment and as soon as it clears I'll ship the item. No sooner. Any excess funds are your own fault for not paying attention. :p

Not first hand experience receiving such stuff but that looks like nearly the same exact lousy english and information request format that I've heard about on occasion lately when people are trying to sell stuff.

IMNSHO: Don't walk away. Run.

Lawreston said:
I advertised my good condition exhaust system, having upgraded to Power flow System. To those expressing interest(and the photos) I qualified that I could only compute freight cost if I were to know shipping destination. One party sent me this follow-up to my information.

"Hello Lawreston ,
Good Day , i am very glad for your swift response to my enquiry and also am very sorry for not getting back to you earlier .

Concerning the condition and price ,i am satisfied with and i would
like arrangements to be made on payment ,so please gt back to me with the
follwoing details for payment ,details needed are listed ....

Full Name :

Full Contact Address :

Zip Code :

Mobile Phone Number :

Home Phone Number:

So i await details shortly ,so that we could continue the purchase.
hanks alot."

I'm somewhat suspicious. It feels as though it might be an out of USA contact. The address is via Yahoo, but that could be far-reaching.

HR

What's the real problem? He sends the check, the check clears, you ship the part. The check doesn't clear, you don't send the part. People in Tanzania need parts for their 172s as well.

Henning said:
What's the real problem? He sends the check, the check clears, you ship the part. The check doesn't clear, you don't send the part. People in Tanzania need parts for their 172s as well.
The scam is that due to international banking delays, the check appears to clear, but a few weeks later it bounces back. What they really want is your banking information and/or the money you sent to cover the "overage" on their check even if you don't ship the item. For international shipments, get the money via recognized secure means like Western Union, where they have to put the cash in up front. Even wire transfers can "bounce" overseas.

Lawreston said:
II'm somewhat suspicious. It feels as though it might be an out of USA contact. The address is via Yahoo, but that could be far-reaching.

HR

Jerry .. I'd say your hunch is correct. That ain't legit.

Ron Levy said:
The scam is that due to international banking delays, the check appears to clear, but a few weeks later it bounces back. What they really want is your banking information and/or the money you sent to cover the "overage" on their check even if you don't ship the item. For international shipments, get the money via recognized secure means like Western Union, where they have to put the cash in up front. Even wire transfers can "bounce" overseas.

I understand the scam, and all about overseas banking, believe me, I know, I've been dealing with it for 20 years. It's still doable though, give them a BSB & an account, no worries giving those details, they can't do anything but deposit, anything else happens and it's the banks problem. Never sign or write anything in your hand, just give them the numbers. If they send a check, you can call your bank and have them notify you of final clearance, and then you have them sign the clearance. That's if you run it through your bank. You can also run it through an international merchant bank like Citi Bank (I always keep an account with Citi Bank since they are everywhere, they will deal with you on a fee basis as well, though this size check wouldn't warrant it) who will clear it for you (still takes time, 30 days typically from Africa). You can do it safely. I realize the response to the ad is most likely bogus and a scam, however I was just pointing out that one doesn't have to run away just because it's written in ESL english. Truely, there are people in Tanzania who need parts for 172s, you don't have to write off a deal because it smells like a scam. You just proceed using due caution. I've bought and sold parts across the globe on many occassions.

Points well taken, Henning -- this may well be legit, but use appropriate caution and don't ship until the money is known to be in hand.

Forget it. Walk away. Wait for another purchaser. Whatever, don't do it. Next up he or she will want to use a cashier's check.

Ron Levy said:
Points well taken, Henning -- this may well be legit, but use appropriate caution and don't ship until the money is known to be in hand.

Exactly, if you do it properly, you have absolutely nothing to lose but whatever time you put into it.

Back