Legend Cub factory?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Has anyone visited the Legend Cub factory? I am planning to be in the Dallas area in a few weeks and thought I'd fly over to Sulphur Springs and get a tour. I wonder if they give demo flights?

I've never visited the factory but given the friendliness and how enthusiastic the whole legend crew is about their fantastic plane, they will probably fight among themselves to give you a demo ride....:yes: :D

Mc Fly said:
I've never visited the factory but given the friendliness and how enthusiastic the whole legend crew is about their fantastic plane, they will probably fight among themselves to give you a demo ride....:yes: :D
One can only hope! :D Maybe I can talk Spike and Dave into going too. I hear there is a restaurant on the field. Has anyone eaten there?

Diana said:
One can only hope! :D Maybe I can talk Spike and Dave into going too. I hear there is a restaurant on the field. Has anyone eaten there?

(sound of arms being twisted...)

The reastaurant is the Red Barn, not on the field, but easy walking distance (or so I am told). Prior testimony is: it's good.

SCCutler said:

The reastaurant is the Red Barn, not on the field, but easy walking distance (or so I am told). Prior testimony is: it's good.
It's REAL good--great chicken fried steaks with honest-to-God homemade gravy. Meatloaf ain't bad either, and one day this past winter when I was out that way for a funeral, they fixed me up some chicken and dumplins that were the best I ever had.

Nice FBO too, Spike--y'all oughta zip on out there. I was tellin' Diane on the other board that it's an easy flight. Mostly all north of the DFW bravo madness, plenty of alternate airports, lotsa landmarks and the folks at Legend are as nice as they come in this business.

-JD

SCCutler said:

I thought about going there for lunch saturday, Spike. Didn't know you hadn't been. I gave up the idea due to the heat and length of the walk (>1/4 mile).

I have had just about everything on their menu (including Chicken ala king) and it is all good.

Now my friend Carol wants to also check out the Carol Rose Quarter Horse ranch in Gainesville while we are down there. How's that airport? Anybody been to the horse ranch?

Diana said:
Now my friend Carol wants to also check out the Carol Rose Quarter Horse ranch in Gainesville while we are down there. How's that airport? Anybody been to the horse ranch?
Been to both. Fly up to Gainseville (KGLE) all the time. Great airport, super nice FBO. Grab an FBO car (they have several) and head to the ranch. I'm a quarter horse and Appaloosa man, and they've got some nice stock out there. Nice prices too. . . I like ridin' 'em, not showin' em.

While you've got a car, head into downtown Gainesville (little small town, maybe 20K) and stop by The Fried Pie. DELICIOUS HOMEMADE fried pies. Holy cow are they good!

Hell, now I may have to fly up there in the next couple of days myself and get a sackful to take home. . .

Gee thanks, Diane. Thanks a lot. ;)

-JD

CowboyPilot said:
Been to both. Fly up to Gainseville (KGLE) all the time. Great airport, super nice FBO. Grab an FBO car (they have several) and head to the ranch. I'm a quarter horse and Appaloosa man, and they've got some nice stock out there. Nice prices too. . . I like ridin' 'em, not showin' em.

While you've got a car, head into downtown Gainesville (little small town, maybe 20K) and stop by The Fried Pie. DELICIOUS HOMEMADE fried pies. Holy cow are they good!
Sounds like this is a "must do" trip for us then! Thanks for the information. Wonder if Spike and Dave are up for eatin' some of those pies?

CowboyPilot said:
Hell, now I may have to fly up there in the next couple of days myself and get a sackful to take home. . .

Gee thanks, Diane. Thanks a lot. ;)
:D Anytime! Glad I could help! :D

Diana said:
Sounds like this is a "must do" trip for us then! Thanks for the information. Wonder if Spike and Dave are up for eatin' some of those pies?

Only if they don't have balsamic vinegar on 'em (ask Chip or Dave).

SCCutler said:
Only if they don't have balsamic vinegar on 'em (ask Chip or Dave).

Acquired taste. I love Balsamic Vinegar. Not on everything, but on many things. Just like syrup.

wsuffa said:
Acquired taste. I love Balsamic Vinegar. Not on everything, but on many things. Just like syrup.

But you love it when you order it; not when it is "thrust upon you."

All the difference.

SCCutler said:
But you love it when you order it; not when it is "thrust upon you."

All the difference.

No pain, no gain... :D

Just talked with Jim at American Legend and they aren't open weekends (JD, you were right :)). Carol and I may fly over there on Monday Sept 11, or even maybe Tuesday, Sept 12. Anybody want to play hooky and join us for a tour, lunch, and possibly a demo flight?

Would love to if I can find another pilot to fly left seat.

That Sunday (9/10) is my birthday, and We need to FLY on 9/11 every year we can.

Diana said:

Yup! http://www.whistman.com/blog/20060129.aspx

There's a video of landing there, too, on this page. I went back last month. So I've eaten there twice. Breakfast both times... great value. Bring cash, they do NOT take credit cards. You won't need much--everything on the menu is less than $5-8 or so.

Park on the south end of the field, by the new GA terminal. Walk out the airport driveway, across the new highway under construction, and you're there.

Legend is at the same end of the airport, though I've not toured... just poked around the open t-hangar and drooled on the airplane parked there.

CowboyPilot said:
Mostly all north of the DFW bravo madness, plenty of alternate airports, lotsa landmarks and the folks at Legend are as nice as they come in this business.

You mean EAST, right? [EDIT:Never mind, I didn't see the thread switch to talking about Gainesville--cheap gas there, Diana].
Diana, let us know when you're coming out; maybe we can all plan a mini-fly-in for that day (group factory tour) and a meal at the Red Barn...

Last edited:
Troy Whistman said:
Diana, let us know when you're coming out; maybe we can all plan a mini-fly-in for that day (group factory tour) and a meal at the Red Barn...
OK! Sounds good! I wonder if the Red Barn is open on Mondays?

We had a great trip to Sulfur Springs today! Unfortunately Bo and Spike couldn't make it. Carol and Candi and I flew over this morning and had a guided tour of the factory. The Legend personnel gave us a comprehensive tour of the different processes that were being used and how they put it all together. We were impressed with not only the airplane itself, but also the people involved with building it. And the whole place was so clean! We didn't get a demo ride, as the pilot was flying around with a new owner who just came in town to pick up his new Cub.

Some of the Cub pilots gave us a ride back and forth to the Red Barn where we enjoyed real Sweet Tea, black-eyed peas and turnip greens as well as some other yummy Texas food.

The Legend Cub will definitely be on our list of possibilities for a future airplane. I am even more interested in the Jabiru engine now that I have visited with them about it.

The FBO folks at SLR were VERY accommodating and they have a nice new building.

We had to dodge storms coming back to McKinney. Gosh, it would have been nice to have had some kind of radar onboard.

As we flew into the Class D airspace at McKinney we heard somebody get chewed out by the tower for not contacting them before they were 3.5 miles out. They told the tower they just got handed off by Approach. :dunno:

Also, the winds were such that, for several minutes we would have had a tailwind using either runway (17 or 35), so he left it up to me which runway I wanted. Just as I entered downwind the winds decided which way to blow consistently. Got there in between storms, so maybe that had something to do with the funny winds.

Diana said:
I am even more interested in the Jabiru engine now that I have visited with them about it.

Diana,

What have you found out about it? All I "know" is what I've heard, which is very little but I seem to recall one of the manufacturers being happy to have switched away from the Jabiru. What do the Cub folks say?

As we flew into the Class D airspace at McKinney we heard somebody get chewed out by the tower for not contacting them before they were 3.5 miles out. They told the tower they just got handed off by Approach. :dunno:

Bad tower controller for chewing out on freq. Better would have been "Call this number after landing..." Odd situation though.

flyingcheesehead said:
Bad tower controller for chewing out on freq. Better would have been "Call this number after landing..." Odd situation though.
Cut 'em some slack, they often have what's locally known as a "flock of butterflies" in the pattern (biggest flight school in the area, big location at Addison, and branches at both McKinney and Redbird/Dallas Exec, called "Monarch Air," and nearly all the T&G work is at TKI), and it can get... challenging.

Personally, I'd rather be chewed out on the air than get a number to call; get it over with.

+++

Diana, sorry I could not make it, it was a beast from stem to stern today. Tell more about the Jabiru-Cub.

SCCutler said:
Diana, sorry I could not make it, it was a beast from stem to stern today.
We're sorry you couldn't come. Hey! We're having dinner with Dave tonight, maybe you can join us?

SCCutler said:
Tell more about the Jabiru-Cub.
Well, I don't know much about the Jabiru. Here's a quote from Legend's web site (I hope this isn't illegal)

"A Jabiru-equipped Legend Cub sports a 120-horsepower, 6-cylinder, Jabiru 3300A Aero Engine. The Jabiru 3300A is built around a lightweight aluminum block. The Jabiru-equipped Legend Cub offers customers lower fuel burn, smoother, quieter, and higher performance. These performance advantages translate into greater useful load, shortened takeoff distance, and increased rate of climb."

We had lunch with some of the pilots (great guys!) from the company who were brought out from retirement to work for the company. They were very experienced pilots who have been around a long time. Both of them loved the performance and efficiency of the Jabiru engine and preferred it themselves. I asked about repair issues and they didn't think that was a problem.

That's about all I know about it. :)

SCCutler said:
Personally, I'd rather be chewed out on the air than get a number to call; get it over with.

Me too.

Back