Legal advice???

us AAirways

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
us AAirways
After my dad died 2yrs ago, my mom sold her house with 40 acres under a land contract. The agreement was she would live there and rent the house for 10 years. She is 70...bad idea I know, but that's what she did. The house needs lots of work, mainly plumbing. Could I be liable for any repairs/damage etc if something happened to her before the 10yrs are up? I was talking to my girlfriend about this, she thinks I could be because I am the next of kin. But I don't see how I could be held responsible if I wasn't in the contract????

The house is not your mom's, she sold it and is renting it.

The new owner is responsible for maintaining the plumbing in reasonable working order, not your mother. If anything needs fixing it is up to the new owner. If they don't fix it your mom can pursue other remedies to force them to fix it depending on your state's tenant / landlord act.

How could you be liable at all for anything? :dunno:

Last edited:
The house is not your mom's. How could you be liable?

I know. The buyer never had a home inspection. My dad did the plumbing, but but probably *ahem* not to code.=) Mainly worried about something like a mold problem that would cost $$$ to fix.

What Geico said. The new owner owns it and whatever problems came with it. You've got nary a dog in the fight. Relax.

What you need is legal advice. You get that from a lawyer licensed in the state where the contract was executed and with a copy of the contract in hand. Anything you get here is pure speculation.

Most land contracts do not transfer title until the final payment . . .depends if it was one of those - and Ron's advice is solid as usual. need to see the document, the recorded document and then what state and county and to see if they have any different laws.

Back