Left wing, right wing?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Interesting test. I didn't put this under spin-zone, as I'm not discussing actual politics, but this an interesting 6-page questionairre that examines political, economic, social and moral issues to determine where you "stand".

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

On the accompanying graph on the last page, they show where other world personalities would have landed. I was closest to Ghandi.

Interesting test. I didn't put this under spin-zone, as I'm not discussing actual politics, but this an interesting 6-page questionairre that examines political, economic, social and moral issues to determine where you "stand".

Your political compass

On the accompanying graph on the last page, they show where other world personalities would have landed. I was closest to Ghandi.
That was seriously stupid... talk about loaded questions...

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.59

Puts me right there with Tony Blair.

All that said, the questions tended to be somewhat lopsided while looking for a specific response.

That was seriously stupid... talk about loaded questions...

In what way, Bob? (I really am curious!!) I would think "loaded questions" are necessary to provoke "strongly agree to strongly disagree" responses. The questions seemed (to me) to cover an interesting broad spectrum of areas.

EDIT: Interestingly, in their FAQ (which I just now read), they cover some of the "responses" they get from test-takers... the first one is that the questions are "slanted". Their response:

Some of the questions are slanted

Most of them are slanted ! Some right-wingers accuse us of a leftward slant. Some left-wingers accuse us of a rightward slant. But it's important to realise that this isn't a survey, and these aren't questions. They're propositions - an altogether different proposition. To question the logic of individual ones that irritate you is to miss the point. Some propositions are extreme, and some are more moderate. That's how we can show you whether you lean towards extremism or moderation on the Compass.

Some of the propositions are intentionally vague. Their purpose is to trigger buzzwords in the mind of the user, measuring feelings and prejudices rather than detailed opinions on policy.
Incidentally, our test is not another internet personality classification tool. The essence of our site is the model for political analysis. The test is simply a demonstration of it.

Last edited:

Your political compass

Me too.

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.49

Stalin? Give me a break. I'm not into liberal beliefs in any way, so why would I be into communism?

Stupid poll.

Stalin? Give me a break. I'm not into liberal beliefs in any way, so why would I be into communism?

Stupid poll.

6.88 and 5.49 are +/+, which would put you in the top right quadrant, near the likes of Tony Blair, not Stalin. He was in the top LEFT. You'd have to have a -9 to -10 for the Economic number to be in that area.

I must admit I find humor that liberalism is denoted with a negative sign :D:rofl:
Ah, oh, now it will get booted to the sz.

Stalin? Give me a break.

Even worse, GWB.

I'm .38 and -2.77. I'll try to remember to take it again in a few weeks. Bet it will be different then.

Well, we are a diverse group, aren't we?

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.56

That means I can accept the diversity and revel in it! :)

6.88 and 5.49 are +/+, which would put you in the top right quadrant, near the likes of Tony Blair, not Stalin. He was in the top LEFT. You'd have to have a -9 to -10 for the Economic number to be in that area.

Ahh, my bad, I was looking where the crosshairs met. That was just an example. D'oh! I am similar to Tony Blair, except I am not British, I guess.

Although my teeth are abnormally screwy. :D

Even worse, GWB.

I'm .38 and -2.77. I'll try to remember to take it again in a few weeks. Bet it will be different then.

HAHA. Yeah, I am not a big fan of being associated with the Bush. I only use one internet, and I understand that there's no "The" in front of Google.

I used to be as far out there as Nick about 4 years ago, today:

Economic: +0.75
Authoritarian: +1.90

Although, I know the exact questions that put me in the positive on the rule of law. Death penalty, discipline, rehab.

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

I like the OKCupid Politics test, it's about on the same lines, but a little more detailed with the results:

You are a
Social Liberal
(80% permissive)

and an...

Economic Liberal
(30% permissive)

You are best described as a:

Strong Democrat (30e/80s)
And on the graph I am right on top of Bono.

That test is here: http://www.okcupid.com/politics

http://www.okcupid.com/politics

And for me...

Social Liberal (60% permissive)
Economic Conservative (66% permissive)
Libertarian (66e/60s)

I'm between The Donald, and The Waterboy.

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

I like the OKCupid Politics test, it's about on the same lines, but a little more detailed with the results:

And on the graph I am right on top of Bono.

That test is here: http://www.okcupid.com/politics
William, you? A strong Democrat? I'm shocked! :D

I'm pretty strong in certain areas. But, odor isn't everything.

Guess I'm pretty mellow today ...

Economic Left/Right: 2.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.33

The biggest flaw in the questions is that many of them force you to assume facts not in evidence, thus skewing the results.

I am right on top of Bono.
Really? Is that a dream of yours???:D

You are a

Social Liberal
(71% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(80% permissive)

[SIZE=+2]Libertarian (80e/71s)[/SIZE]

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.10

I'm surprised I showed to be so neutral on social issues. I think a more accurate assessment would probably put me more conservative but with a libertarian stand.

Economic 0.13
Social 0.41

Pretty much dead center.

As Rush has said, there are no famous moderates. :)

Sure there are. In recent memory Bill Clinton who is often referred to by those on the left as one of the "best Republican Presidents fo the 20th century".

He was left on social issues and for big business, smaller government, and reduced entitlements. Under Clinton federal spending fell as a share of GDP, from 21.4 percent in 1993 to 18.5 percent in 2001. Even if you take out defense spending he still was able to reduce federal spending. He really was a middle of road politician. So he was hated by both sides equally.

BTW I ran into this classic comic a short time ago. I sure do miss Bloom County

Attachments

• hunting liberals.gif
    hunting liberals.gif
    78.6 KB · Views: 11
Sure there are. In recent memory Bill Clinton who is often referred to by those on the left as one of the "best Republican Presidents fo the 20th century".

He was left on social issues and for big business, smaller government, and reduced entitlements. Under Clinton federal spending fell as a share of GDP, from 21.4 percent in 1993 to 18.5 percent in 2001. Even if you take out defense spending he still was able to reduce federal spending. He really was a middle of road politician. So he was hated by both sides equally.
I'll give ya partial credit on him. I think he was pretty much to the left but in comparison to the Hildebeast, he's a right winger. He used polls a lot and those kept him to the center.

I don't know he was actually for smaller government but I'll certainly give him credit for growing it only a fourth of what W did with the damn TSA, ICE and such.

Libertarian on OKCupid and a -.50/-2.5 on the other site.
Both find me socially liberal, and one finds me economically conservative the other finds me slightly economically liberal.
Huh?
Social Liberal
(71% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(61% permissive)

Libertarian (61e/71s)

Back