Leesburg, VA - KJYO

Oldman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Oldman
I'm planning to fly from Wings (KLOM) down to Leesburg on Saturday morning. Long-range forecast suggests that I might be using the GPS 17 approach. I've never been to Leesburg before; any secrets and/or tips?

Thanks!

- jkw

Might be a good idea to take the online SFRA training, even though it's not mandatory for IFR ops.

Expect to be given a routing through MRB to keep you out of the Dulles arrivals, and then to be vectored to join the approach without going all the way there. On departure, the only way you'll be cleared is direct STILL (not on the L-chart) and then on course from there (like direct EMI and then V3 or V419 going back to Wings). I have no idea what they do if you don't have a GPS, but it's probably ugly for someone headed east -- like direct MRB V3 EMI. And the faster you climb, the faster they turn you east.

Canceling IFR after landing and picking up your clearance are easy on the Potomac Clearance RCO, the frequency for which recently changed -- I see there are now two published, and I don't know if there's any difference. Only problem is you can be stuck for a while on departure if there's inbound traffic -- usual non-towered 1-in/1-out situation.

Also, taking the course and carefully studying the SFRA NOTAMs (including the Leesburg Special Maneuvering Area NOTAM) is a really, really good idea.

Finally, the folks at Landmark, though expensive, are extremely nice to even the smallest light GA aircraft. :thumbsup:

And welcome to PoA and congratulations on your first post here.:)

Thanks, this is all very useful. I'll put MRB and STILL into my flight plans. Excellent tips, I hate searching around the map when I'm getting my clearance.

I'm FRZ-registered, so I don't worry about that so much, and this is going to be an IFR flight.

- jkw

Expect to be given a routing through MRB to keep you out of the Dulles arrivals, and then to be vectored to join the approach without going all the way there. On departure, the only way you'll be cleared is direct STILL (not on the L-chart) and then on course from there (like direct EMI and then V3 or V419 going back to Wings). I have no idea what they do if you don't have a GPS, but it's probably ugly for someone headed east -- like direct MRB V3 EMI. And the faster you climb, the faster they turn you east.

Canceling IFR after landing and picking up your clearance are easy on the Potomac Clearance RCO, the frequency for which recently changed -- I see there are now two published, and I don't know if there's any difference. Only problem is you can be stuck for a while on departure if there's inbound traffic -- usual non-towered 1-in/1-out situation.

Also, taking the course and carefully studying the SFRA NOTAMs (including the Leesburg Special Maneuvering Area NOTAM) is a really, really good idea.

Finally, the folks at Landmark, though expensive, are extremely nice to even the smallest light GA aircraft. :thumbsup:

And welcome to PoA and congratulations on your first post here.:)

JKW, Are you in Lansdale Borough? I'm at Wings as well. We have a great group of local POA pilots in the Wings area that gets together now and then for some hangar flying. PM me your contact info and I'll be happy to include you in our hangar flying notices.

Thanks, this is all very useful. I'll put MRB and STILL into my flight plans. Excellent tips, I hate searching around the map when I'm getting my clearance.
...especially when the fix isn't on the chart, as STILL isn't. It's in your GPS, and Foreflight will put a dot there, but otherwise you could be scrambling. BTW, it's just northwest of LUCKE on V8.

I'm FRZ-registered, so I don't worry about that so much,
Then you know the drill.

and this is going to be an IFR flight.
Given the rules, I still recommend folks take the course even if they're going VFR. If nothing else, it lets them cancel IFR once they have the field in sight in VMC. It also allows taking off VFR if weather permits and there will be a delay in your IFR depature due to inbounds -- just remember you have to coordinate that with Potomac before takeoff and have a 4-digit squawk to do that.

STILL is charted on the JYO ILS or LOC 17 IAP. It's 12.3 DME out on the I-JYO localizer, where it intersects R-242 from FDK. You could fly outbound on the localizer front-course to find it if you don't have GPS. Not sure what you're gonna do from there, though.

STILL is charted on the JYO ILS or LOC 17 IAP. It's 12.3 DME out on the I-JYO localizer, where it intersects R-242 from FDK.
Thanks, John -- with my 530W, I never look at the ILS there -- same 250 HAT and better steering with the LPV approach.

You could fly outbound on the localizer front-course to find it if you don't have GPS.
You could indeed -- nothing like a little backwards tracking immediately after takeoff.

Not sure what you're gonna do from there, though.
Direct MRB or EMI, probably. Don't need a GPS for that.

You could indeed -- nothing like a little backwards tracking immediately after takeoff.

Piece of cake, just roll inverted as you cross the departure threshold and you get correct sensing. :wink2:

STILL is charted on the JYO ILS or LOC 17 IAP. It's 12.3 DME out on the I-JYO localizer, where it intersects R-242 from FDK. You could fly outbound on the localizer front-course to find it if you don't have GPS. Not sure what you're gonna do from there, though.

Attached is the official form for STILL. It is intended for use only on the ILS or LOC 17.

Since ATC is using it in an ad hoc (and confusing to those not familiar with local ATC nuances) they should have it either charted on the area chart or, better yet, have a charted departure procedure. In the Southern California area the airspace users' group would work through such an issue. Don't know whether there is one of those for that area.

Attachments

• STILL.pdf
    7.6 KB · Views: 12
I'm pretty sure they don't give STILL on departure except to /G aircraft. I'll ask my ATC guy next time I see him.

And this advice came in very handy. On the way down I wasn't routed through MRB; instead they sent me down V408 to the ROBRT intersection, then to AML. They made the same point, though: Stay the heck out of the SFRA. On Rwy 17 departure they did indeed route me right turn to STILL. Glad I knew in advance they would do that, thank you very much.

That's a lovely terminal and, as you said, pleasant people to fill it. Somewhat unnerving to be on final for 17 and observe a 172 headed 350 about 75 feet higher, but I guess much training goes on there and perhaps it was a newly-soloed person.

Again, thanks for the good advice.

- JKW

Back