Led Zeppelin's Private Jet

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Inside Led Zeppelin's Private Jet:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/night_flight_inside_led_zeppelins_private_jet_1973

"The Starship,” as the former United Airlines Boeing 720 passenger jet was re-dubbed by its owners (Ward Sylvester and pop singer Bobby Sherman) had been modified at the cost of nearly a quarter of a million dollars, with the intention of renting it out to touring super-groups. Swivel chairs, a bar, and a 3/4” Sony U-matic videocassette player and TV were installed (The plane’s library contained films ranging from Deep Throat to the Marx Brothers), and a bedroom, for “privacy” was built into the back of the plane. Shag carpeting, champagne, the Starship had it all, even President Nixon’s Air Force One didn’t compare. There were two stewardesses on the plane and it cost $2500 an hour to run."

I love it that Iron Maiden's lead singer also sits in the left seat of their 757.

iron-maiden-airplane-456-053111.jpeg

Bruce-Dickinson-pilots-Ir-008.jpg

Very Cool. Good old 70's Rock!!

Does John Travolta still have his 707?

I believe so. A while back I popped onto FlightAware, and was looking at the list of current flights. Down at the bottom of the list there was a single 707 in the air, flying local in Florida, with an N number rather than a flight number. I assume it was JT.

Apparently Travolta can only be SIC in his 707. And his Citation rating is for VFR only for some reason.

Weird.

Apparently Travolta can only be SIC in his 707. And his Citation rating is for VFR only for some reason.

Weird.

He didn't fly an approach on his rating ride for some reason.

Travolta was the one who ended up with a complete electrical failure in his jet a few years back and spent a while circling over northern Virginia until they figured they better attempt a descent before the battery in their peanut AI which was all that was left died.

JT earned his Citation type after Thurman Munson crashed and died in his Citation. At that time training centers were reluctant to issue types to celebrities since the Munson crash resulted in lawsuits. IIRC JT finally struck a deal with a company to do his type, but it was restricted to VFR only.

I would imagine since he no longer flies a Citation he never bothered to get the limitation removed.

As far as the SIC type on the 707, he operates it on a Part 125 certificate. Since he's a Private Pilot he can't fly PIC, so why bother with the full type. SIC types are quick and easy to obtain.

Travolta was the one who ended up with a complete electrical failure in his jet a few years back and spent a while circling over northern Virginia until they figured they better attempt a descent before the battery in their peanut AI which was all that was left died.

I heard that the electrical failure was Travolta induced.....

And they landed NORDO at DCA.....pre 9/11.

JT earned his Citation type after Thurman Munson crashed and died in his Citation. At that time training centers were reluctant to issue types to celebrities since the Munson crash resulted in lawsuits. IIRC JT finally struck a deal with a company to do his type, but it was restricted to VFR only.

I would imagine since he no longer flies a Citation he never bothered to get the limitation removed.

As far as the SIC type on the 707, he operates it on a Part 125 certificate. Since he's a Private Pilot he can't fly PIC, so why bother with the full type. SIC types are quick and easy to obtain.

To add to this....

The "local" movie star cannot fly his toys either by himself... As it is explained to me, the movie studios REQUIRE a typed rated pilot in the cockpit with him.. And HF is a pretty damn good pilot too..

To add to this....

The "local" movie star cannot fly his toys either by himself... As it is explained to me, the movie studios REQUIRE a typed rated pilot in the cockpit with him.. And HF is a pretty damn good pilot too..
We fly the same type airplane if you are talking about the 680 and we fly it with two type rated pilots also.

To add to this....

I've always wondered about that for various celebs and athletes. I'm surprised HF doesn't have enough leverage to tell the studios to go spit...

We fly the same type airplane if you are talking about the 680 and we fly it with two type rated pilots also.

He had a single pilot CJ before he got the 680 ma'am.... Still had to have a type rated person with him...

Back