LED Nav & Strobe Combo Install

Prcpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PRCpilot
Okay, forgive the ignorance but I am trying to find out the legality of the install on a 182 and what is the best route? The strobes are separate power wires from the NAV/POS lights.

Option 1: Run an extra wire to connect strobes to the beacon. Only NAV/POS would be on for taxi.

Option 2: Run the NAV/POS & Strobe on one existing wire (yes there will be enough electricity to the end of the wire to power). Only the beacon would be on for taxi.

Option 2 seems the easiest and is prefered but memory is not serving me correctly on the legality of it. If you can also forward me to some FARs, SBs, ACs, or other information it would be very helpful. I have not found much info after scouring the A&P books, and the FAR/AMT or AIM.

You're looking in the wrong place. You need to first consult the parts catalogue and see what Cessna may have as approved options for the lights on your model 182. If they exist, you need to purchase exactly those parts and install them exactly as the IPC shows, including wiring, breakers, placards, etc. Your A&P may do this with a logbook entry and W&B update, though some may argue a 337 is required. In any event, the IPC is approved data so it shouldn't be a big deal paperwork wise.

Failing that, there may be STC'd options for the lights. The STC will provide the parts, documentation and approvals for the installation. I would suspect there are STC's out there for this.

Here is the lighting requirements for strobe systems according to the year model of your aircraft:
http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System Requirements/Anit-Collision Systems.pdf

You need to mount/run seperate wires/switches for the strobe(s).
There may be times you'll want to be able to switch your strobes off without turning off all your lights (clouds, fog, etc.)
Whelen and Aeroflash are the large players in the market in the past and have STC's to fit most cert-a-birds with a 337 from your A&P/IA.

Hope this helps,
Chris

There may be times you'll want to be able to switch your strobes off without turning off all your lights (clouds, fog, etc.)

Suppose some clever person figured out a way to light the nav lights when the switch is first turned on, then if the switch is turned off and then back on within, say, 10 seconds of first turn-on it would turn both nav and strobe on. Then when turned off again it would reset and go through the same sequence again.

Suppose this clever person decided to write this up as a Kitplanes article for the do-it-yourself sparkie, but put out a kit for the not so talented electroniker.

Now of COURSE this could never be put on a certificated airplane ... :hairraise:

Jim

Now of COURSE this could never be put on a certificated airplane ... :hairraise:

Jim

I am shocked, SHOCKED to hear you promote such an idea!

Oh look, my new LED Par 36 tractor light just arrived from Amazon . . . ;)

Suppose some clever person figured out a way to light the nav lights when the switch is first turned on, then if the switch is turned off and then back on within, say, 10 seconds of first turn-on it would turn both nav and strobe on. Then when turned off again it would reset and go through the same sequence again.

Suppose this clever person decided to write this up as a Kitplanes article for the do-it-yourself sparkie, but put out a kit for the not so talented electroniker.

Jim

I would say I'll take 2 seperate switches over a latching relay any time.
Stuff in airplanes breaks often enough without engineering in more problems and parts.

JMPO

Chris

Stuff in airplanes breaks often enough without engineering in more problems and parts.

JMPO

Chris
that all depends on how difficult it is to pull a 2nd wire.

Latching relay? Latching relay? Oh, yeah, my daddy told me they had those in The War -- WWII that is. I've seen a few in museums.
Hot flash ... switches break FAR more often than solid state devices. Wires even more so.

Then find yourself an engineer that knows which end of the soldering iron gets hot.

Jim

JMPO

Chris

Back