Leaving Database Update Screen on G3X Touch

GeorgiaPilot1021

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgiaPilot1021
I have a G3X Touch that also runs my EIS on a Piper Dakota. I'm not fortunate enough to have access to a hangar or GPU, so if I want to update my databases, I do so with the engine running. When I have the database update screen up, it covers the whole screen and I can't see the EIS. I don't love having no engine info during that 10 minutes, so I was curious if anyone knew if you can leave the screen without interrupting the update? I know the plane pretty well so I can adjust based on sound, but more information never hurt! I could just press the Back button to see if it works, obviously, but I'm afraid of corrupting databases, so I wanted to ask here to see if anyone knew before giving it a try! TIA!

I have a G3X in my airplane as well, and I don't think that is possible to do.

Is your airplane 12 or 24 volts?

Hm. I've got a 12 volt system.

I have a 24v system, and I routinely do my database update on battery power alone. I would try it on your airplane once, and see what the voltage is like once you are done. Be sure to turn everything else off. You may be surprised how little power it takes.

Alright, I'll consider that! I'm assuming your updates take about the same amount of time? (Roughly 10-15 minutes, especially when updating VFR/IFR charts and FliteCharts). Obviously just don't want to drain the battery too low.

Alright, I'll consider that! I'm assuming your updates take about the same amount of time? (Roughly 10-15 minutes, especially when updating VFR/IFR charts and FliteCharts). Obviously just don't want to drain the battery too low.

They don't seem to take quite that long, but I've never timed it before. I have all the same charts as you. Be sure you have some way to charge the battery back up just in case my idea is a really bad one!

I do mine on the backup battery. Never had any issue. If you do it on the main battery bus? Turn lights off. If your battery runs down from a G3X update you need a better battery!

Back