Learning to use GPS

Bonanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bonanza
When I first got my GPS installed I asked the avionics shop if they could teach me how to use it. They laughed and handed me the book.
When I brought the plane back to home base, all the instructors wanted to fly with me to see my new panel and learn about all the new gizmos. So basically I taught myself how to use the system over many hours by trial and error.
With so few school planes equipped with modern avionics and no standardization from the manufacturers it seems that you are very lucky if you can find an instructor who knows anything about the particular model you may have installed, let alone one who is competent and qualified to teach it.
I now have 4 years experience of the Garmin 530/430 and I still occasionally find new functions and make a few mistakes.
So how did all of you learn to use GPS? Do you feel comfortable using the advanced features (eg. amending a flight plan in flight) or do you just use the ‘D’ button?
Stephen

Fortunately my first GPS was a KLN-90B and as I had been using a KLN-88, there was so much similarity between the two that the learning curve was pretty flat. The GPS in the airplane I fly now was not nearly as familiar. This particular box (name withheld to protect the manufacturer) is nicknamed the Maquis de Sade, MKI. Balky, too many imbedded functions, poor screen....I could go on and on. It seems that most of the makers of newer pieces of equipment are putting tutorials up on the web and are actually supporting the users of their products. This is a good thing. I can only wonder how many accidents and incidents were caused or contributed to by someone trying to learn the box on the fly.

I downloaded the books for the KLN-94, and the simulator for the Garmin 430. Thankfully, --> meets most of my needs. One of these days I might load up a flight plan, but frankly, I'm not likely too. I'm paying hobbs time for that, when I can just as easily go direct to each of my waypoints. Until I start IFR training, anyway. Maybe I'll just do that in a plane that doesn't have GPS :)

I don't usually use GPS - but a few times, just for fun, I've played with the GPS in the rentals.

I usually avoid the D-> button, and instead, create flight plans. It's kind of neat seeing ETE on a screen.

Just learning how myself, but the computer has been a real help. The Diamond C1 I rent has a Garmin 430. I've downloiaded the simulator for it, along with the quick reference guide. There's more out there, there is a site that covers the advanced features of these, as well as one entitled "getting the most out of the Garmin 430/530" or words to that effect. I also am in contact with a guy who just bought a 172 with a Gramin G1000 glass panel. He states that the Garmin lines are similar enough (he recently checked out in a Diamond Star DA40) that the transition is quite simple.

Here's a coupole of links (still looking for some I just mentioned, now not finding...)
For the Garmin 430 Simulator download, click here
For several different manuals, including the Quick Reference guide, click here

Read the manual back n forth a half dozen times, go to the airport and push buttons for an hour at a time, ask the instructor (Huh?), get the basics from pilots who use the thing regularily. THEN make your own cheat sheet, go fly (and make a bunch of mistakes), refine cheat sheet. Troy W. is going to help me master it, aren't you Troy?

"What's It Doing Now?"

Latest cheat sheet attached.

I read the manual on-line and went through the tutorial several times. Any questions were answered by an experienced pilot. Garmin's on-line stuff is tremendous help.

My next column for the GA News address this very topic. Look for it soon.

In the meantime, if you're interested in the larger issue of "glass cockpits," you may want to check out my May 20 column in the same publication. It address the broad issue of how to get both pilots and instructors up to speed on new technology.

I downloaded the simulator for the Garmin but mainly it was trial and error. Oh, I did reference the manual too.

It is quite worrying that no one seems to have been taught to use GPS by a qualified instructor. When we learnt VOR navigation I would bet that all of us had at least some instruction, but GPS seems to treated differently and most of us just pick it up as we go along.
Anyone else think that that is not a totally satisfactory state of affairs?
Stephen.

Bonanza said:
It is quite worrying that no one seems to have been taught to use GPS by a qualified instructor. When we learnt VOR navigation I would bet that all of us had at least some instruction, but GPS seems to treated differently and most of us just pick it up as we go along.
Stephen.

I only see it as being a problem if someone is using GPS exclusively, and not using a backup without first learning the system. I learn things better by doing, so all GPS work I've done has been by trial and error, while using VORs and ded reckoning to get where I'm going, and cross checking on the GPS. Its helpful, because I know a lot of stuff about the GPS that I think would be missed in training.

For what its worth, I have no idea how to fly a GPS approach, and I won't try without an instructor, but I also don't really know how to fly an NDB or VOR approach either (not IRed yet).

Bonanza said:
Stephen.

I can't answer your question as to whether or not that is satisfactory. All I can do is describe the situation here. The Comanche was one of the first on the field with an enroute and approach certified GPS. Fortunately we were already instrument rated. I didn't mind learning *with* my CFI. We are both better for it.

How many flight schools can afford to outfit their fleets with these?

Watch for the FAA... They do run a few GPS schools. The other thing is you can get instruction from a CFI... On their GPS installed aircraft. Time you may have to pay double for (instructor and hobbs). There have also been local classes on GPSs and someone has referenced a couple of good books on them (Cap't Ron perhaps?).
And a word of caution... please fly the plane and not the GPS. I have found myself too distracted trying to get it correct and lost situational awareness. Do not get overwhelmed. Think of it as IFR. You might not want to do it solo.

The flight school where I instruct, Galvin Flying Services, equips all of its IFR aircraft with approach-certified GPS units. Granted, Galvin is the exception of schools overall, but it's fairly typical of larger operations (e.g., those with more than, say, 5 IFR aircraft). Most of such schools have equipped an increasing percentage of their IFR fleets with IFR GPS units. We don't feel that can we afford not have GPS-equipped aircraft to offer to our students and customers.

We also offer periodic GPS seminars to our customers and students. Our IFR syllabus teaches GPS as an integral part of the program. All of our instructors must be proficient in the units in our fleets (mostly Garmin 430/530 and King KLN units). We have installed the PC-based simulators for those units on several computers in the school, and we make a variety of other resources (most of which are free to download from the Web) available to all our customers.

My first GPS was a KLN-89B and I learned it's function by reading the manual, working with the unit at home in demo mode, and flying with it. Prior to that I'd worked with several Lorans which I think was good preparation. When I upgraded to the KLN-94 it was easy to adapt as the user interface was similar.

Back