Learning to Trim, and I don't mean fat.

Richard said:
Got it. Thanks for the comeback. I just roll in a little after leveling and then roll in a bit more as she accels. A little bit less and less and less until it's about as perfect as I can get it. Never need a large amount of trim at any given point.

Yep, that the right way IMO. It's just a bit surprising how long that needs to go on in some planes.

You don't even have to do that. Just reduce power 50 feet below target altitude about five inches. No trim needed, because you will cruise at your climb speed. Of course, this is for those who like to cruise at cruise climb speed--and you'll probably be at 50% power. LOL!

lancefisher said:
Yep, that the right way IMO. It's just a bit surprising how long that needs to go on in some planes.

Phugoid oscillations again ?

wangmyers said:
You don't even have to do that. Just reduce power 50 feet below target altitude about five inches. No trim needed, because you will cruise at your climb speed. Of course, this is for those who like to cruise at cruise climb speed--and you'll probably be at 50% power. LOL!
Best fwd speed, no delay.

Richard said:
Best fwd speed, no delay.
Ah, in that case the throttle is full in and you only adjust mixture and trim at cruise. I loved doing this in the Zlin, although we did pull the prop out a couple of clicks (yep, there are clicks). The stick is so light, you solve the "three-hand problem"--just hold the stick there between your knees while you adjust the mixture and trim with your other hands!

wangmyers said:
Ah, in that case the throttle is full in and you only adjust mixture and trim at cruise. I loved doing this in the Zlin, although we did pull the prop out a couple of clicks (yep, there are clicks). The stick is so light, you solve the "three-hand problem"--just hold the stick there between your knees while you adjust the mixture and trim with your other hands!
Is the Zlin a left control set up? That is, all the controls are on the left side wall.

Richard said:
Is the Zlin a left control set up? That is, all the controls are on the left side wall.
No, but there are two throttles, one in the middle and one on your left. And they're BIG!

Back