Learning Glass Instruments

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I "adopted" a fairly new private student from a friend dealing with medical issues. I soloed him a few weeks ago but lousy weather and his written has held us up a bit. He finally took and passed his written with an 88 yesterday so today we launched into instrument training under the hood.

He's been flying our Jabiru with the GRT glass panel. While I have transitioned some pilots from steam gauges to glass before, this is my first ab initio student who has only flown glass.

I briefed him on scan techniques, then we were off.

On climb out I took the controls while he donned the hood. Then, for close to an hour he was never more than 60 feet off assigned altitude, or more than five degrees off course, or more than five knots off airspeed. We did climbs, descents, turns....everything and he just nailed it all!

At one point he asked me what the "black bars" on the screen were. I explained that they were the runways at a nearby airport being displayed on the synthetic vision. Upon our return to KFCM I decided to see how well the synthetic vision might work for a newbie pilot. Once the "black bars" appeared I told him to keep them centered in his aiming point, which he did with ease. I gave him altitude step downs and airspeed changes along the way while he stayed focused on the ever-growing runway depiction. We were cleared to land on 28L so I told him to line up on the left parallel, which he did without a problem.

At about 400' and a half mile I had him look up to see us perfectly aligned with the runway, just above the glide path and right on our final approach speed. He proceeded to make a perfect landing.

I wouldn't have believed this result had I not witnessed it first hand. It was truly remarkable to watch. Technology...appropriately applied, can be a wonderful thing!

Last edited:
I "adopted" a fairly new private student from a friend dealing with medical issues. I soloed him a few weeks ago but lousy weather and his written has held us up a bit. He finally took and passed his written with an 88 yesterday so today we launched into instrument training under the hook.

He's been flying our Jabiru with the GRT glass panel. While I have transitioned some pilots from steam gauges to glass before, this is my first ab initio student who has only flown glass.

I briefed him on scan techniques, then we were off.

On climb out I took the controls while he donned the hood. Then, for close to an hour he was never more than 60 feet off assigned altitude, or more than five degrees off course, or more than five knots off airspeed. We did climbs, descents, turns....everything and he just nailed it all!

At one point he asked me what the "black bars" on the screen were. I explained that they were the runways at a nearby airport being displayed on the synthetic vision. Upon our return to KFCM I decided to see how well the synthetic vision might work for a newbie pilot. Once the "black bars" appeared I told him to keep them centered in his aiming point, which he did with ease. I gave him altitude step downs and airspeed changes along the way while he stayed focused on the ever-growing runway depiction. We were cleared to land on 28L so I told him to line up on the left parallel, which he did without a problem.

At about 400' and a half mile I had him look up to see us perfectly aligned with the runway, just above the glide path and right on our final approach speed. He proceeded to make a perfect landing.

I wouldn't have believed this result had I not witnessed it first hand. It was truly remarkable to watch. Technology...appropriately applied, can be a wonderful thing!
I think this says a lot more about his flying abilities, and the training he has recieved(thus his instructors), than the glass screens. As you say "Technolology appropriately applied... can be a wonderful thing!" However, I would also add that inappropriately applied, or not respected ...it can be a fatal thing.

I also have GRT with SV. For IFR and especially VFR pilots, it could really save the day. If one is new to glass, all of the information can be overwhelming for the first 10+ hours. Since he had a lot of VFR time with glass it made it much easier.

Learning to interpret the info on the glass screen is easy. Learning the buttonology takes a bit more effort.

I think this says a lot more about his flying abilities, and the training he has recieved(thus his instructors), than the glass screens. As you say "Technolology appropriately applied... can be a wonderful thing!" However, I would also add that inappropriately applied, or not respected ...it can be a fatal thing.

No disagreement. But for a guy with less than 15 hours under his belt to navigate, under the hood, to a typical non-precision missed approach point using no nav aids other than a computer-generated representation of the airport is remarkable.

I also have GRT with SV. For IFR and especially VFR pilots, it could really save the day. If one is new to glass, all of the information can be overwhelming for the first 10+ hours. Since he had a lot of VFR time with glass it made it much easier.

Absolutely true....he was use to interpreting altitude, speed and heading info from his use of it from hour one.

Learning to interpret the info on the glass screen is easy. Learning the buttonology takes a bit more effort.

:yeahthat: +10

The buttonology on the GRTs is particularly frustrating to learn, mainly because of the lack of any good tutorials. I only have 20-25 hours in it and still get very frustrated by darn thing. It can do amazing things...but getting to the right menu and getting the right sequence of button pushes is a challenge.

I recently went to the g1000. Even during my panel out session, when I had to rely on the steam gauges that are in the airplane, I couldn't wait to uncover the glass. So much more information that its missed greatly when not available. For me it was hard to learn all the buttons or at least consistently remember what they did but sure was worth it.:yes:

I think it is sim ionic g1000 app. It was like 5 bucks and will work on wifi to get metars and such from local airports. Shows about everything that you can do.

I also recently went to glass with a dual Aspen setup. Ironically for me, it took me a bit to get accustomed to using the tape features, especially the airspeed. I found myself looking at the mechanical ASI by habit -- even though those big numbers on the Aspen were staring me in the face! It has taken awhile, but I have made the transition. Who said you can't teach an old pilot new tricks?

One comment about glass. I wasn't sure how benefical moving to glass would be and debated about even doing it. Once installed I found that having everything right in front of you helps tremendously. The situational awareness is simply amazing.

I also recently went to glass with a dual Aspen setup. Ironically for me, it took me a bit to get accustomed to using the tape features, especially the airspeed. I found myself looking at the mechanical ASI by habit -- even though those big numbers on the Aspen were staring me in the face! It has taken awhile, but I have made the transition. Who said you can't teach an old pilot new tricks?

One comment about glass. I wasn't sure how benefical moving to glass would be and debated about even doing it. Once installed I found that having everything right in front of you helps tremendously. The situational awareness is simply amazing.

I agree...more information processed in less time with less physical movement of the eyes. I think it's a major improvement.

We've certainly seen some arguments here about technology, but once you see it it's hard to deny it.

I don't know the system on the Jabiru, but do you have a flight path marker and/or highway in the sky?

I'm of the opinion that a VFR pilot might be helped out by them in case of VFR into IMC, if they just had a little experience using them.

There is no excuse not to nail every approach with SVT.

It has turned the equation around from coupled approaches being easier than hand-flown. Hand-flying SVT approaches is easy, while with coupling you have to be on your game, knowing what every button does, why it does that, and if your airplane is doing what you think it is doing.

We've certainly seen some arguments here about technology, but once you see it it's hard to deny it.

I don't know the system on the Jabiru, but do you have a flight path marker and/or highway in the sky?

I'm of the opinion that a VFR pilot might be helped out by them in case of VFR into IMC, if they just had a little experience using them.

It has something similar to HITS that they call SAP (Synthetic Approach Path) but I was not using it with him on this first hood flight. Just aiming for the graphic representation of the airport was sufficient with me giving him altitude step downs. SAP's value would be getting the altitude guidance from the system along with position information.

Edit: SAP=Synthetic Approach Path

Last edited:
It has something similar to HITS that the call SAP (Synthetic Approach Procedure.) but I was not using it with him on this first hood flight. Just aiming for the graphic representation of the airport was sufficient with me giving him altitude step downs. SAP's value would be getting the altitude guidance from the system along with position information.

I'd be really curious to see if this student could do it using SAP without any assistance.

I recently went to the g1000. Even during my panel out session, when I had to rely on the steam gauges that are in the airplane, I couldn't wait to uncover the glass. So much more information that its missed greatly when not available. For me it was hard to learn all the buttons or at least consistently remember what they did but sure was worth it.:yes:

I love the G1000! The only thing I don't like is the inclinometer. Wish they had simulated the ball, instead of that split triangle thingy:rolleyes:.

I love the G1000! The only thing I don't like is the inclinometer. Wish they had simulated the ball, instead of that split triangle thingy:rolleyes:.

The GRT has a digital inclinometer with a little black ball. Not quite as smooth as the real thing but not bad.

I like the ball better, too. But the placement of the inclinometer is good. Keeps the scan centered.

This is what I have...two 8.4" with SV. I really like it after 100 hrs. Occasionally the black ball wags back and forth for no reason. I have a backup Dynon D-6.

http://www.grtavionics.com/File/EFIS Flyer 2012.pdf

Yep, that's the unit. Incredibly amazing little box, especially coupled to a Garmin SL30 nav/com. Discovered today that putting the nav side into monitor mode gives you a second RMI needle pointing to the second VOR. Way cool!! I really like this combination of avionics. Too bad you can't slap it into a certified box.

I love the beauty of glass cockpits! Today while talking to A&P folks in the MX at KPAO I saw the cockpit of the Diamond and was amazed. So much cleaner and easier to read than steam gauges. Still, good to know both eventually.

I took the student mentioned in the original post on his first cross-country today. It may just be his skill level, but he did a much better job of maintaining heading and altitude than any of my steam gauge students have managed on a first cross-country.

I took the student mentioned in the original post on his first cross-country today. It may just be his skill level, but he did a much better job of maintaining heading and altitude than any of my steam gauge students have managed on a first cross-country.

Might be skill, but then again, I instantly became more "skilled" the moment I started flying behind glass.

Back