Leadville, CO Saturday

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Anybody headed that way from Denver or want a ride? The 'kota may make the journey...

Anybody headed that way from Denver or want a ride? The 'kota may make the journey...

Me! (wildly waving hand) maybe.

Was planning on driving - medium length story about the new cylinders, talking with Bill & Ron on Friday about it.

You're helping with Young Eagles? What time do you want to be there?

Glad to hear you're replacing cylinders (I'm assuming it's warranty work).

Well, I do know when I'll be back again but it won't be until after Saturday.

Ummm, Mari, you're *always* on a jet...and usually setting up front!

Me! (wildly waving hand) maybe.

Was planning on driving - medium length story about the new cylinders, talking with Bill & Ron on Friday about it.

Bill's going to pull the cylinder on Monday. I've been talking to both the overhaul company (they claim everything I've been complaining about for almost a year is normal break-in) and the cylinder company. The cylinder company is very interested in what's going on, since there's 50 hours on cylinders that were manufactured July 2011, installed Aug 2011, and I've been having problems since the initial flight in Sept 2011.

Depending what Bill finds next week determines the next step. 4 A&Ps including one who spends all his time overhauling cylinders are convinced this is not "expected surface corrosion" but serious pitting based on the borescope.

I'll be at the shop on Monday taking really good photos.

Bill's going to pull the cylinder on Monday. I've been talking to both the overhaul company (they claim everything I've been complaining about for almost a year is normal break-in) and the cylinder company. The cylinder company is very interested in what's going on, since there's 50 hours on cylinders that were manufactured July 2011, installed Aug 2011, and I've been having problems since the initial flight in Sept 2011.

Depending what Bill finds next week determines the next step. 4 A&Ps including one who spends all his time overhauling cylinders are convinced this is not "expected surface corrosion" but serious pitting based on the borescope.

I'll be at the shop on Monday taking really good photos.

I assume you're flying up tomorrow then. See ya there.

Flying up in 67C (the 182 that is newer than Clark's car), probably bringing a greyhound along for the ride. Should be a beautiful trip with the aspens turning gold.

Flying up in 67C (the 182 that is newer than Clark's car), probably bringing a greyhound along for the ride. Should be a beautiful trip with the aspens turning gold.

See ya'll there. The aspens are quite a sight this year.

Flew to Las Cruses today. Nice colors maybe a week before peak. Have a good weekend.

Heavens no, I'm not flying the putt-putt...it's already at the shop, or it should be by now.

Well if you want a ride up I'll be at the hangar about 6:30 or so.

Well if you want a ride up I'll be at the hangar about 6:30 or so.

6:30? Have a nice time. I'll be driving up, should be there about 10 am. Plenty of time for food and a leisurely drive thru the hills.

Looks like I'll be waiting around for an electrical inspection instead of flying tomorrow.

That'd be a bummer. Tell'em to inspect on Sunday or Monday...

Kinda nervous about all the "fall-out" happening. The wiring to the master bath and bedroom took 24 hours to fail.

If I had an megaohm'er I'd already be testing stuff.

Finding the hole in the garage roof tonight changed it from a near-strike to "the house wiring is probably crispy".

No likee.

I had planned to fly the RV-12 up for the breakfast today, but several hundred pounds of wine grapes will arrive this morning also, so I have to set up the crusher and de-stemmer and process this year's wine. Darn; I had planned on the Leadville outing.
John at Salida, CO

That sounds very expensive Nate. Total bummer!

All depends on the insurance company, but I see nothing in the policy that lets them off the hook for any of it.

We shall see...

I did finally get all my running around to meet people done today and have piles of calls out about finding an electrician that I trust, so now I'm sitting here at 17:00 thinking I should go to the hangar...

Hmm. Evening flight. Or wait until tomorrow...

We're both on call this weekend, so no far-away wandering... I think Karen already has a patient visit booked for tomorrow sometime. Will ask her.

I wish that sloppy wet stuff we had for a few days was still here. That'd be fun to go play in. ;). Looks like the Texans are getting all the cloudy fun this weekend.

Bright and sunny at LXV this morning. A couple good bumps on the flight over - I basically went as direct as I could and just climbed over the hills. I was tail-end charlie on the gaggle of early arrivals. Everyone did a good job on sequencing as is typical around here.

Talked to a few guys from Aspen Flying Club during breakfast. The food was good with a nice vanilla accent in the pancake syrup. I haven't had that (other than when I make'em) since I lived in Mexico. Spent awhile talking to a Skywagon pilot on the ramp until Tony showed up. We talked and watched a little bit until he went for pancakes.

Leaving LXV I decided to hug the east side of the valley and fly south rather than climb over the hills. The winds in the valley were light enough to let me get fairly close to the hills and that is always fun.

Young Eagles was still going strong when I got back to FTG so I landed 35 and made the long drive in to parking. Overall it was a fine morning in Colorado.

We had a good flight too. Sparky the greyhound enjoyed his first flight. He was quite a star once on the ground too. He even got to eat a pancake!

The leaves were pretty, but probably a little past peak. We had some rain the week before that knocked a lot of leaves off the trees. Below are some pictures from the flight

Sparky, wondering when the inflight entertainment begins
DSC01759.jpg

A bit of the color, still in Routt County
DSC01774.jpg

When we left Leadville, we decided to go over Hagerman Pass, then down to the Roaring Fork Valley. We got some good ridge lift on the south side of Turquoise Lake.

Approaching the pass, this is a view of the cirque in which the pass is located
DSC01809-Copy.jpg

Just after crossing the pass, still turning to take the valley to the north.
DSC01819-Copy.jpg

Same view, after leveling out.
DSC01822-Copy.jpg

Weather was great for mountain flying, not too much wind at the peaks, but enough to get ridge lift to help with the climb up to the pass. (Of course Clark, with his turbocharged engine wouldn't need to use ridge lift ;) ).

Back