Leading edge tapes

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am looking for a different LE tape. I got the plastic type last time and it cracks & lifts too easily.
I need it on my hstab. It prevents a lot of gravel damage to the fabric.
Is there something thicker/more flexible/stickier? (The tape I got last time is almost the same as electric tape.)

I had some on my Cherokee that had to be at least 50-100mil.

But it was on it when I got it, so I don't know what it was. It was more like rubber than tape, though.

I'm a 3M distributor, let me see what I can find. In the mean time, you could always spray FlexSeal on it. :D

I am looking for a different LE tape. I got the plastic type last time and it cracks & lifts too easily.
Is there something thicker/more flexible/stickier? (The tape I got last time is almost the same as electric tape.)

I found some 3M stuff at an auto body store..put it on the cowling and wheel pants on both PA-28s ....it performed magnificently...there is something at spruce that I used long time ago that also worked very well...might have been the same stuff but it came by the foot if my memory serves.

The big thick stuff turns yellow and get ugly fast..thats a BF goodrich product I believe.

Last edited:
3M made a low drag "prismatic surface" tape NASA developed that some of the Americas Cup boats were using a few years back on their bottoms. I always wanted to get hold of some.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this used for? Smooth tape the rivet lines?

Fairly thick rubber tape is standard equipment on most Alaskan airplane tails. Mine's about 1/16" thick. After 15 years of flying on and off gravel and parking outside it looks pretty much like it did when it was new. Reeve Airmotive in Anchorage has it on the shelf if memory serves.

Last edited:

It's called eternabond, google it. it is the most amazing stuff. be absolutely certain you have it where you want it when you pull out the separator film. because you are not going to get it off after that.

Back