Law of Primacy vs Simpler Aircraft

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
Some of you guys in here have a lot of experience doing instrument training so I'd like the feedback.

Right now I'm PP-ASMEL vfr with my Apache. I plan on moving up in performance/capacity a little some time within the next couple years (Aztec, Seneca, or Turbo twinki with the third row bench). I also intend to start instrument training after I cross 50 to 60 hrs XC.

Would you guys recommend doing the instrument training in the Apache since it is a simpler than what I'd get. She has a 6-pack, two VOR, one with GS and if I do instrument in her I'd get an instrument-approach certified gps as mentioned in another thread, versus let's say an Aztec with full de-ice, 430w, etc.?

Speaking based on having given over 1500 hours of instrument flight training (plus uncounted hours on the sim), it's best to do the IR course in an aircraft in which you are already very comfortable. It's much easier to transfer those skills to a more sophisticated aircraft than to try to get comfortable in the new plane at the same time you're learning IFR flying. OTOH, I've had some real bad experiences trying to give instrument training to someone new to the plane in which the training is occurring.

So, I'd recommend doing the training in the Apache now, getting some IFR flying experience in it, and then when you're comfortable flying IFR in the Apache moving to the new plane. If you really want to do the IR training in the new plane, get 25-50 hours of heavy duty flying in it (not just boring holes in the sky) including learning all its systems before you start the IR course.

Speaking based on having given over 1500 hours of instrument flight training (plus uncounted hours on the sim),

This is precisely why I asked =D

it's best to do the IR course in an aircraft in which you are already very comfortable. It's much easier to transfer those skills to a more sophisticated aircraft than to try to get comfortable in the new plane at the same time you're learning IFR flying. OTOH, I've had some real bad experiences trying to give instrument training to someone new to the plane in which the training is occurring.

So, I'd recommend doing the training in the Apache now, getting some IFR flying experience in it, and then when you're comfortable flying IFR in the Apache moving to the new plane. If you really want to do the IR training in the new plane, get 25-50 hours of heavy duty flying in it (not just boring holes in the sky) including learning all its systems before you start the IR course.

Sounds good, thanks =)

As always Capt Ron's sage advice is appreciated.

To bad we don't live closer, I'm probably going to do the same thing in my Turbo Comanche. Would be great to fly safety pilot for each other since I would like more twin exposure and you could see how quickly things change in the Turbo Comanche, (possibly not as fast as a Turbo Twin by maybe a bit faster than a Apache). Below 5000' I suspect it would be the same anyway as the differences in speeds would minimize.

Back