Latch for Lance storm window

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
Our latch for the storm window on the Lance will not stay on. Has anyone found a better replacement? We have tried several different glues / epoxy, and none will last. The top latch keeps popping off. Seems like someone should have already invented this wheel. Had one suggestion of running screw thru plexi, but worried about cracking.

Are you talking about the little window that opens on the pilot side? Not sure what a storm window is on a plane...

I don't know what plastic that latch catch is made. If I was trying to stick an unknown plastic to acrylic (plexi) I would try an MMA - methyl methacrylate. You can find small tubes online. Also make sure the plexi and the catch are clean - wipe with solvent acetone, isopropanol, etc and possible scuff slightly prior to bonding.

MMA sticks like peanut butter in shag carpet to most plastics. Or maybe an industrial use rubber toughened CA - cyanoacrylate - would work.

Good luck.

All the glues have not held. We have tried 4 at the shop. The owner of the shop says he has seen a different type of latch used than one that turns like shown in the link above. It had two screws instead of one going thru the plexiglas. Has anyone used one of these?

I believe he is talking about Piper Part #472-024 (replaced #65742-000 (?)):

http://www.skygeek.com/piper-472-024-latch-dwg-65742-storm-windo.html

I'm not aware of any troubles getting it to stay on if your hardware is correct, but maybe other people have had this issue. Maybe I've just got so much rust on my bolt that the nut won't come off! :lol:

Ahh... never heard of that little window called a storm window. Makes sense.

Yeah, as long as there is no rust, glue, etc. it should just be a simple screw/nut assembly. Not sure if they all are, but mine is made out of nylon.

I always call it the "clear prop" window. That's about all it's useful for. Storm window is what Piper calls it though.

I always call it the "clear prop" window. That's about all it's useful for. Storm window is what Piper calls it though.

Yup.... Clear prop window is what I have ever called it too...:yes:....

Back