Last night's flight

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Had to go out to the airport yesterday to get the O2 bottles filled. Since it was "early" on a Friday (4:30 PM), I decided to take the plane up. LNS was the destination. Planned for ARSNL2 MRB V93 LRP KLNS under IFR at 9,000. I got ARSNL2 MRB V501 HGR V377 HAR -> LRP KLNS. Potomac was busy (I lifted off after 5 PM) - so I was held down to 6,000, sent 10 miles west of CSN before I was given direct to MRB. I was about at MRB before I was given higher. NY Center did give me direct somewhere around SCAPE and I shot the ILS into LNS (weather was reporting 5 in haze, but it really was closer to 3 on the ILS).

Turned around and came back - again being routed over HGR and MRB despite filing a routing over FDK. But... Washington Center gave me direct - directly over Camp David/P40 (which was reduced). After verifying the clearance, it turned out to be a pretty nice ride. But the whole thing took about 30 minutes longer than plan.

A couple of interesting things - Potomac is apparently allowing folks to go VFR up the east side outside of the FRZ. The old transition is gone (thanks to the FRZ), but I hear a couple of folks authorised VFR up the east side.

The second is traffic conflict resolution - ATC cleared a bizjet on a vector at 500' above a VFR target (on the east side of IAD). Bizjet got a TCAS alert and went to deviate east - ATC scolded him because he came very close to clipping the FRZ. Bizjet fussed at ATC because the TCAS alert was a 400' discrepency (bizjet said "that's too close") and ATC fussed back ("both of you are talking to me and have the altimeter setting and are on altitude"). A pretty testy exchange that nearly had the bizjet in the FRZ.

As I said, interesting trip, as much for that (and going over P40) as anything else.

Had to go out to the airport yesterday to get the O2 bottles filled. Since it was "early" on a Friday (4:30 PM), I decided to take the plane up. LNS was the destination. Planned for ARSNL2 MRB V93 LRP KLNS under IFR at 9,000. I got ARSNL2 MRB V501 HGR V377 HAR -> LRP KLNS. Potomac was busy (I lifted off after 5 PM) - so I was held down to 6,000, sent 10 miles west of CSN before I was given direct to MRB. I was about at MRB before I was given higher. NY Center did give me direct somewhere around SCAPE and I shot the ILS into LNS (weather was reporting 5 in haze, but it really was closer to 3 on the ILS).

Turned around and came back - again being routed over HGR and MRB despite filing a routing over FDK. But... Washington Center gave me direct - directly over Camp David/P40 (which was reduced). After verifying the clearance, it turned out to be a pretty nice ride. But the whole thing took about 30 minutes longer than plan.

A couple of interesting things - Potomac is apparently allowing folks to go VFR up the east side outside of the FRZ. The old transition is gone (thanks to the FRZ), but I hear a couple of folks authorised VFR up the east side.

The second is traffic conflict resolution - ATC cleared a bizjet on a vector at 500' above a VFR target (on the east side of IAD). Bizjet got a TCAS alert and went to deviate east - ATC scolded him because he came very close to clipping the FRZ. Bizjet fussed at ATC because the TCAS alert was a 400' discrepency (bizjet said "that's too close") and ATC fussed back ("both of you are talking to me and have the altimeter setting and are on altitude"). A pretty testy exchange that nearly had the bizjet in the FRZ.

As I said, interesting trip, as much for that (and going over P40) as anything else.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been an AD on all TCAS requiring that they know where the FRZ is and won't command an aircraft to enter it.

Heh. AD or not, I'll take my chances entering the FRZ if it means avoiding a mid-air.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been an AD on all TCAS requiring that they know where the FRZ is and won't command an aircraft to enter it.

TCAS II only commands vertical resolution advisories (descend/climb) so I don't think this would be a factor for the FRZ?

I think TCAS III was slated to include horizontal advisories, but the Wikipedia article says it's not being actively developed.

Back