Last Flight Lesson of the Summer before College Starts Again

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Well, today was my last chance to do my first solo and unfortunately I didn't get to do my first solo flight this summer at all for a few reasons. One was that we were running on a tight schedule today. The other reason was because my flight instructor sold the Sportstar MAX I was training in all summer to a customer and we used a slightly different but more technologically advanced airplane called the Evektor Harmony. We did 3 crosswind takeoffs and landings today, and for the most part I performed them very well with little coaching and help. While I do like the solid controls of the new Harmony and the feel for it (because I noticed my takeoffs and landings were a lot smoother than in the Sportstar MAX), I also felt that I was not comfortable in soloing the Harmony on the same day that I flew the Harmony for the first time. I wanted to have more time and experience to be acquainted with its flight characteristics and where all the controls and switches are. But, looking back on this summer, I felt I made a lot of progress in my flight training such as getting my student pilot certificate and passing my presolo written test (Hey does the presolo written test ever expire?). I never got this close to solo in my life before. Even though I didn't solo this summer, I felt that I accomplished something still in my flight training and I am proud of it. Hopefully I will solo and hopefully get my sport pilot license during winter break.

Can't fly and go to school? Sometimes flight training can be a tension breaker and relaxing. I found that to be true with flight training and work. Pre solo test probably doesn't expire but I presume the muscle memory may go away by the time December rolls around.

Can't fly and go to school? Sometimes flight training can be a tension breaker and relaxing. I found that to be true with flight training and work. Pre solo test probably doesn't expire but I presume the muscle memory may go away by the time December rolls around.

:yes:

As most people here know by now, I'm an advocate of flight training and school at the same time. There is no harm in it, and it's a great way to get your mind off things. Life is a balancing act, no harm in multitasking in college.

As most people here know by now, I'm an advocate of flight training and school at the same time. There is no harm in it, and it's a great way to get your mind off things. Life is a balancing act, no harm in multitasking in college.

+1 Instrument, Commercial, Multi and CFI during first year of law school kept my sanity!

+1 Instrument, Commercial, Multi and CFI during first year of law school kept my sanity!

Loren, I'm impressed, seeing what friends went through while in law school. I have a hard enough time studying for my IR while working.

Kevin, I think you are showing good judgment in not wanting to solo without more time in the aircraft. But if finances and time allow, keep flying as often as possible after school starts. Don't let those skills atrophy.

Kevin, I think you are showing good judgment in not wanting to solo without more time in the aircraft. But if finances and time allow, keep flying as often as possible after school starts. Don't let those skills atrophy.

Thanks for the complement Mason and everyone! Believe me, I would love to go flying on the weekends. But the college I go to and the flight school I attend are so far away from each other, that it would not be practical to go flying every weekend like I did during the summer. Plus I feel that I should be focused on my college studies and running the AAAE club at my college. I also should be focused on looking for a job before I graduate since I am graduating in May. So that would cut majorly into my free time to go flying.

Kevin, as much as we love flying, it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Good luck in school and getting that first job when you are done.

That's fine if you've got someone paying for everything for you. When I was in college my schedule was:
6am-noon: job
1pm-6/9pm: school
saturday: sleep/study
sunday: work

I mean if I had someone to buy me an airplane and a Corvette while in college, I'd be advocating multitasking as well. Some of us live in the real world.

Thanks for the complement Mason and everyone! Believe me, I would love to go flying on the weekends. But the college I go to and the flight school I attend are so far away from each other, that it would not be practical to go flying every weekend like I did during the summer. Plus I feel that I should be focused on my college studies and running the AAAE club at my college. I also should be focused on looking for a job before I graduate since I am graduating in May. So that would cut majorly into my free time to go flying.

You seem to be well focused and I wish you luck for the upcomming school year. If you can find a flight school and an instructor that can take 1-2 hrs with you every couple of weeks, it may help keep your basic skills current. If the weather permits a 7-830 am flight lesson every other weekend if finances permit surely beats 4 nights a month drinking/ partying...:wink2:

Your skills won't atrophy back at school. Next summer it might take a couple of hours and you'll be back to where you were when you left off.

Well, today was my last chance to do my first solo and unfortunately I didn't get to do my first solo flight this summer at all for a few reasons.

Hang in there :mad2:

I would suggest chair flying, via simulator. I hadn't had a flight lesson since April and I went up last Wednesday and thanks to Xplane, much of the muscle memory was still there. That could at least keep procedures familiar and you can always take five or ten from your studies and fly around the pattern a couple of times in the privacy of your dorm. :dunno: I find it pretty relaxing.

Back