Lasik surgery in 2002

S

S mike

I had LASIK surgery in 2002 and began flying in 2004. For some reason, I did not disclose my eye surgery when I obtained my medical certificate every year until now. What would happen if I confess now that I have a history of eye surgery? Do you have any insights on that?

your surgery was 21 yrs ago, you obviously meet the vision standards if you're currently flying, just add it under 18X on your next, and subsequent, applications. NBD

your surgery was 21 yrs ago, you obviously meet the vision standards if you're currently flying, just add it under 18X on your next, and subsequent, applications. NBD
"After revealing his history of surgery, which he did not disclose, he might encounter trouble when applying for a new airline. Does PRD or PRIA include all past medical history, and his history does not match with the previous 8500-8. That could be a problem."

I had LASIK surgery in 2002 and began flying in 2004. For some reason, I did not disclose my eye surgery when I obtained my medical certificate every year until now. What would happen if I confess now that I have a history of eye surgery? Do you have any insights on that?
Does LASIK even count as surgery? There's no anesthesia and there is virtually no recovery time. Wouldn't even cross my mind to report it. Pass the eye test and move on.

"After revealing his history of surgery, which he did not disclose, he might encounter trouble when applying for a new airline. Does PRD or PRIA include all past medical history, and his history does not match with the previous 8500-8. That could be a problem."

hmm, interesting. I’m not familiar with how it works on the employer side, I‘d think their concern would be that the pilot had an appropriate valid certificate, and then the details for any SODA, revocation or denial. I can’t imagine an AME being concerned that an applicant omitted an elective procedure 20 yrs previous, and I don’t see the FAA taking any administrative action against that omission.

I’ve had this come up multiple times in the last, the applicant mentions refractive surgery while we’re talking about vision, or doing the vision testing, but it’s not noted on his 8500-8. I add it to the application and just say “airman omission.” And then 9 out of 10 times when I see them again in 6 months or 2 years, they’ve forgotten to mention it again. Or else they just use the dreaded “PRNC” comment and then everything had to be reviewed again. But I’ve never known an Airman to get a letter from AMCD in regards to the issue.

eta - what’s PRD and PRIA mean?

Does LASIK even count as surgery? There's no anesthesia and there is virtually no recovery time. Wouldn't even cross my mind to report it. Pass the eye test and move on.

it’s a surgery. I just saw a young SP last week, he had had LASIK a month before. he passed the vision testing easily, wasn’t having any glare / halos / irritation / etc and had been released by his eye doc. we had the eye doctor fill out an 8500-7 and that was attached to his 8500-8. but he should report it at every renewal.

hmm, interesting. I’m not familiar with how it works on the employer side, I‘d think their concern would be that the pilot had an appropriate valid certificate, and then the details for any SODA, revocation or denial. I can’t imagine an AME being concerned that an applicant omitted an elective procedure 20 yrs previous, and I don’t see the FAA taking any administrative action against that omission.

I’ve had this come up multiple times in the last, the applicant mentions refractive surgery while we’re talking about vision, or doing the vision testing, but it’s not noted on his 8500-8. I add it to the application and just say “airman omission.” And then 9 out of 10 times when I see them again in 6 months or 2 years, they’ve forgotten to mention it again. Or else they just use the dreaded “PRNC” comment and then everything had to be reviewed again. But I’ve never known an Airman to get a letter from AMCD in regards to the issue.

eta - what’s PRD and PRIA mean?

The Pilot Records Database (PRD) is used to facilitate the sharing of pilot records among air carriers and operators in a clearinghouse managed by the Federal Aviation Administration. All air carriers and operators specified by part 111 can register to access the PRD and evaluate the available FAA data for each individual pilot candidate prior to making a hiring decision.

Pilots holding an FAA Commercial, Airline Transport Pilot, or Remote Pilot certificate with a current FAA medical can register in PRD and see their records. As of December 7, 2021, all air carriers and operators required to review records in accordance with PRIA and/or part 111 must use the PRD to obtain the related FAA records. Submissions of FAA Form 8060-10 are no longer be accepted.

Back