LaserGrade v. CATS

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
What are the differences between the testing systems? Any preferences?

only thing I can really say is that the nearest lasergrade location to me was significantly further than cats, so I went with cats :dunno:

Both download the exams from the FAA servers so the only difference is a small change in the user interface display. The figures are exactly the same poor crap because the FAA won't rescan/create better quality.

Whoever's closer/cheaper. At least one has an AOPA discount, which might be a tiebreaker. Other than that, you get the same test and the same data dumped into IACRA's database, so it really doesn't matter.

Whoever's closer/cheaper. At least one has an AOPA discount, which might be a tiebreaker. Other than that, you get the same test and the same data dumped into IACRA's database, so it really doesn't matter.

CATS has a $10 AOPA discount.

I've only done LaserGrade. They have a rather nice aviation calculator built into the testing station.

CATS has a $10 AOPA discount.

As does PSI (LaserGrade) now. From the PSI website:

Test Pricing:

Retail pricing for all FAA Tests is $150.00
PSI is pleased too offers the following discounts

• $10.00 AOPA Discount with membership number.
  • $5.00 EAA Discount with membership number.

IIRC, this discount can only be applied if you pre-schedule/pre-pay the test with the vendor (CATS or LaserGrade). Walk-in tests are not included.

Mike

Last edited:
Retail pricing for all FAA Tests is $150.00
PSI is pleased too offers the following discounts

• $10.00 AOPA Discount with membership number.
  • $5.00 EAA Discount with membership number.
Same price as CATS, so back to the "which one is more convenient" criterion for anyone but an EAA member not in AOPA (as CATS offers only an AOPA discount -- and one assumes you only get one discount with LaserGrade/PSI).

Last edited:
Back