Landing the RV-8A -- GoPro Video

Wow, if y'all's ASIs are that far off, I'd be putting on an AOA indicator.

Wow, if y'all's ASIs are that far off, I'd be putting on an AOA indicator.

Thought about it.

Although, since the number displayed is consistent, the actual number is irrelevant -- so long as you know what it is. And we do.
:D

Thought about it.

Although, since the number displayed is consistent, the actual number is irrelevant -- so long as you know what it is. And we do.
:D

Well, then use a number lower than the one you're using.

Wow. That vibration on landing looks like mount breaking aluminum cracking stuff.

Can you say metal fatigue boys and girls?

+1 on the AOA. Got one and love it. No more guessing.

If you look at any tubular gear Cessna they will look about the same on landing. The main gearboxes on the 8A are very stout. There is a resonance that shows up in some RV gear at about a fast walk speed. Some have it some don't. Mine had it and the wood stiffeners cured it. Also Jay make sure that the brake calipers are releasing completely and are straight on the disks as that will cause the shimmys. Don

Wow. That vibration on landing looks like mount breaking aluminum cracking stuff.

Keep piling on the ignorance. Guess how many RV engine mount/nosegear/main gear failures have occurred due to the slight bit of shimmy that is possible with the Wittman-style rod gear? If you don't know, here's a hint - what's 1 minus 1? There has been cracking on the firewall reinforcement brackets in older RV-4's (tailwheel) when operated on rough grass strips, but that is totally unrelated to shimmy, but rather the beating that is transferred to these areas when the gear flexes upon hitting humps and bumps. Thicker corner brackets solved that issue.

Last edited:
Keep piling on the ignorance. Guess how many RV engine mount/nosegear/main gear failures have occurred due to the slight bit of shimmy that is possible with the Wittman-style rod gear? If you don't know, here's a hint - what's 1 minus 1? There has been cracking on the firewall reinforcement brackets in older RV-4's (tailwheel) when operated on rough grass strips, but that is totally unrelated to shimmy, but rather the beating that is trasnferred to these areas when the gear flexes upon hitting humps and bumps.

Eyes don't lie. I see a long solid strut taking a beating with fast vibration/oscillation forces. That can't be good.

And you're right. I'm totally ignorant about nose-wheel's.

Cuz I ain't got one. :D

+1 on the AOA. Got one and love it. No more guessing.

You are correct in your fatigue assumptions. There have been many cracked wheel pants/pant brackets/loose gear leg sockets and mount bolts. It can happen on main or nose gear. Mine occurs on nose gear at 14 kts GS, unless at aft CG/full gross, then not at all. Occasionally on main gear too. We just learn to transition quickly or stay out of those shimmy prone areas as much as possible.

Eyes don't lie. I see a long solid strut taking a beating with fast vibration/oscillation forces. That can't be good.

And you're right. I'm totally ignorant about nose-wheel's.

Cuz I ain't got one. :D

Me neither. I don't like those spindly-ass RV nosegears, but it's not because of a slight bit of shimmy. Lots of the mains on tailwheel models shimmy a bit too, at certain speeds. They've been around a long time now and shown no ill-effects from that alone. Like Yakdriver says - ever seen video of Cessna leaf spring gear on an "unimproved" strip? Are we seeing failures en masse of Cessna gear? Still not sure why some here have such a stiffie for bashing RVs.

Last edited:
Jesus H. Christ. I'm not bashing RVs.

I see a potential problem and point it out. If it were my 180, I'd expect the same.

Jesus H. Christ. I'm not bashing RVs.

Hmm, I honestly just now remembered that you were the one who called them a "bucket of bolts". Your fatigue post now seems to come across as trolling for further opportunity to prove RVs are ****ty, and that the RV zealots must be beaten down. I'm not an RV zealot, BTW. I don't own an RV, and likely never will again. Despite what 'those who have never flown or owned an RV' think, RVers are not zealots. I've known many of them. Never known one who I felt thought RVs were the end-all. Different strokes for different folks.

Hmm, I honestly just now remembered that you were the one who called them a "bucket of bolts". Your fatigue post now seems to come across as trolling for further opportunity to prove RVs are ****ty, and that the RV zealots must be beaten down. I'm not an RV zealot, BTW. I don't own an RV, and likely never will again. Despite what 'those who have never flown or owned an RV' think, RVers are not zealots. I've known many of them. Never known one who I felt thought RVs were the end-all. Different strokes for different folks.

Keep it in context.

I said the two I flew in felt like a bucket of bolts and a toy, and that was probably why they were for sale. I'm not used to small airplanes. I was actually looking to buy an RV-8, so you can't call me a hater... I would probably still buy one if you bring me a good one.

They flew great. It was on the ground where all the noise, vibration, and shimmy was happening. One of them had an extreme tailwheel vibration right before lift off. What's that all about?

Any criticism of any pilot flying an RV makes you an RV hater. This is a prime example.

One of them had an extreme tailwheel vibration right before lift off. What's that all about?

Why was the tailwheel on the ground just before lift off? I've had tailwheel shimmy in FAA-approved Maule and Lang tailwheels too. Tailwheels can be a bit cantankerous. RV-8 main gear should not shimmy. I've never heard of RV-8 gear (leaf spring, not rod) shimmy. Sounds like an alignment problem.

Any criticism of any pilot flying an RV makes you an RV hater. This is a prime example.

LOL, you have a long history of RV hatin'. And now you try to recuse yourself?

Why was the tailwheel on the ground just before lift off? I've had tailwheel shimmy in FAA-approved Maule and Lang tailwheels too. Tailwheels can be a bit cantankerous. RV-8 main gear should not shimmy. I've never heard of RV-8 gear (leaf spring, not rod) shimmy. Sounds like an alignment problem.

O.k. I should have been spot on specific and said before the tail lifted.

I know that can happen on any tail wheel plane if it's busted. We upgraded the springs in my tail wheel to heavier duty springs. What prompted it was .... you guessed it,... a shimmy.

One of the concentric springs in my Scott tail wheel was actually broken, and man was I going for some rodeo rides. I suspect the RV-8 that had that shimmy has something broken like mine did.

That's what you think.
The low time pilot antics with the RV operators, is the issue.

Group OH breaks at a public use airport where flight training is going on...."oh, that's the fault of the inferior spam can drivers, they're flying inferior a/c".....when OH breaks are not on the PTS . Give us a break, keep that s_it at your personally owned field.

Group OH break kills a canard pilot who has no understanding of how long the runway will be occupied....."it's his fault, he shoulda known"

Go ahead Dagger flight, wear your flight suits. I'm ROTLMAO.

And then there's someone near and dear to us who has been temporarily blinded by fast and shiny syndrome.

Then there's the RTV antics. READ THE TUBE FIRST.
Then there's the mass on two screws on an un-reinforced bulkhead.
Then .....oh never mind.

They're great airplanes. The operators.......sometimes, not so much. This is about foolish aviators. Not all are, but the ones that are, sure are visible.

In case you don't "get it", I tolerate fools well....less and less.

Last edited:
Group OH breaks at a public use airport where flight training is going on...."oh, that's the fault of the inferior spam can drivers, they're flying inferior a/c".....when OH breaks are not on the PTS . Give us a break, keep that s_it at your personally owned field.

Overheads are fine with me as long as they communicate in terms everyone else will understand...as in NOT saying "initial". "Overhead upwind XX, circle to land" works just fine.

Group OH break kills a canard pilot who has no understanding of how long the runway will be occupied....."it's his fault, he shoulda known"

Go ahead Dagger flight, wear your flight suits. I'm ROTLMAO.

Maybe the RV guys were a pack of @ssholes, I don't know. BUT...wasn't this the one where the Velocity pilot DID continue his approach and land with an RV in plain sight on the runway in front of him? Or is this a different incident? Were you there? How do you know fault was so clearly one-sided? If I have the right incident, the NTSB report doesn't read that way.

And then there's someone near and dear to us who has been temporarily blinded by fast and shiny syndrome.

Yes, but Yosemite Sam did admit when he was wrong on certain points. You may have missed that.

Me neither. I don't like those spindly-ass RV nosegears, but it's not because of a slight bit of shimmy. Lots of the mains on tailwheel models shimmy a bit too, at certain speeds. They've been around a long time now and shown no ill-effects from that alone. Like Yakdriver says - ever seen video of Cessna leaf spring gear on an "unimproved" strip? Are we seeing failures en masse of Cessna gear? Still not sure why some here have such a stiffie for bashing RVs.

Actually I said the Cessna's with the tubular gear like later 150/52. 172 ,182 and the retract models. But the spring gear vibrates and oscillates quite a bit also. The mounts on these airplanes are all designed for the loads but I've seen a few loose cracked gear boxes on Cessnas used up here in the backcountry. Lots of things will cause a nosewheel shimmy on an RV as on certified airplanes. On an RV if you tighten the fork nut so that you can barley move it by hand it is just right. Also balancing the tire is real important. I just flew a C 150 the other day that shimmys pretty good if you don't get the noswheel off the ground before about 30mph. How many of you guys have flown an old 172 with a nosegear that will do that. The RV series is well engineered but like any design certified or EAB has its strong and weak points. I do also prefer a taiwheel as it eliminates a big weak point on any airplane. Don

By the way, in 400hrs or so in RVs I've never done an overhead break in one. I usually enter the pattern at around 90mph. I pay attention make proper position calls etc. at uncontrolled fields. Don

By the way, in 400hrs or so in RVs I've never done an overhead break in one. I usually enter the pattern at around 90mph. I pay attention make proper position calls etc. at uncontrolled fields. Don

Same here. One does not see too many -10 guys loosing control due to showing off. Several of our accidents have been due to a building mistake, two lost in IFR conditions, one for possible medical issue and one ran out of fuel.

Like Bruce said, not ALL of us are. But the ones that are, sure are visible.

No over head breaks here either. :dunno:

Same here. One does not see too many -10 guys loosing control due to showing off. Several of our accidents have been due to a building mistake, two lost in IFR conditions, one for possible medical issue and one ran out of fuel.

Like Bruce said, not ALL of us are. But the ones that are, sure are visible.

Like certified drivers don't hot dog also? How about the Cirrus driver that thought a roll with 3 passengers was a good idea? We can compare stupid pilot tricks all day long. What's the point?

Back