Landing in the corn

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
For those of you who are flying into the farm for the first time this weekend, or haven't flown in here in awhile, here are a few videos I made of our fly-in a few weeks ago.

Brent (purdue1014) flew with me a few times and here is his video:

http://vimeo.com/6174023

Brian (Qbynewbie) flew into the farm for the first time and here are a few of his landings and take-off in the corn, and part of his aerobatic ride:

http://vimeo.com/6159699

diana are the runways equal to, less than, or more than the width advertised on Air nav?

diana are the runways equal to, less than, or more than the width advertised on Air nav?
I think that's about right. Tom brush hogged a few extra rows of corn next to the runways and taxiway for wingtips and he also brush hogged turn-arounds at the ends of three runways.

Runway 18/36 has more "character" and I prefer people land on Runway 3/21 until we have a chance to visit with them first.

A friend who has a Pilatus said he is coming to my fly-in in the Pilatus instead of his SuperCub. I just looked up the wingspan on that thing and don't see how it will work out very well with the corn so tall right now.

A friend who has a Pilatus said he is coming to my fly-in in the Pilatus instead of his SuperCub. I just looked up the wingspan on that thing and don't see how it will work out very well with the corn so tall right now.
Just have him put the corn picker attachments on the wing tips.

Nice vids Diana! Out here I've done 3 landings on grass between the corn. It was fun, but I also had a bit more room than you have. Tight-wad farmers gotta farm fence row to fence row.:D( I can say that, cause I'm a farmer and do the same thing:lol:)

When are you gonna put smoke on the citabria?:thumbsup:

Diana, you shoud get someone to taxi back and forth so that only the top few feet of the tail is showing above the corn. Film it then dub in the music from Jaws.

Nice vids Diana! Out here I've done 3 landings on grass between the corn. It was fun, but I also had a bit more room than you have. Tight-wad farmers gotta farm fence row to fence row.:D( I can say that, cause I'm a farmer and do the same thing:lol:)

When are you gonna put smoke on the citabria?:thumbsup:

Thanks! :)

I'd love to have smoke in the Citabria. As a matter of fact, I discussed it with the mechanic when we did the restoration.

Diana, you shoud get someone to taxi back and forth so that only the top few feet of the tail is showing above the corn. Film it then dub in the music from Jaws.
How funny!!!!! :D I was actually thinking it looked like a shark in the corn, but never thought about the Jaws soundtrack. You've given me an idea. :yes:

How funny!!!!! :D I was actually thinking it looked like a shark in the corn, but never thought about the Jaws soundtrack. You've given me an idea. :yes:

We'll have Steven King write a new book: Airplanes of the Corn....

Or a movie: Airfield of Dreams....

hey diana -

do you guys have a frequency that you use at the farm? 122.9? just thinking that if people are coming and going and i suspect there might be some ride giving going on it might get busy.

hey diana -

do you guys have a frequency that you use at the farm? 122.9? just thinking that if people are coming and going and i suspect there might be some ride giving going on it might get busy.
Tony, we use 122.9, the same as Lamar. We use "Twin Oaks" when making announcements. Our scanners and radios are on 122.9 here all the time.

I also make announcements on 122.9 when in the aerobatic practice area over the farm. :)

Does this mean that you're coming? I hope so! :)

im not committed to anything yet. will depend on the weather.

im not committed to anything yet. will depend on the weather.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 58. North wind between 6 and 9 mph becoming calm.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 84.

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 61.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 88.

Sounds like good camping weather. :yes: Or, the sofa bed in the living room is still available. :)

oh i know the weather is going to be pretty this weekend. just depends on how good the soaring is going to be. Leah is dedicated to working with the junior rowing group Saturday morning so if I do come it will probably be solo. I'll let you know by friday night or early sat. morning.

Diana, about what time (Saturday) do you and Tom want folks?
Also, would you post the official identifier (I'll have a look but will probably go to Lamar).

oh i know the weather is going to be pretty this weekend. just depends on how good the soaring is going to be.
I hear that there will be no thermals this weekend and the soaring will suck. ;) :D Might as well come see us and Kim and the gang. :yes:

Diana, about what time (Saturday) do you and Tom want folks?
Also, would you post the official identifier (I'll have a look but will probably go to Lamar).

Bruce, some people will start showing up before noon (we have stuff to eat for early arrivals), and most will come mid-afternoon with flying going on all day. We plan to eat the main pot-luck dinner at about 5:00. Don't know when the hot air balloon launch will be...depends on the winds. Last year he set up on Runway 18/36 at the farm.

Twin Oaks is 08MO:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/08MO

We'll come get you at LLU. :) We'll be listening on 122.9, so we should hear you inbound for LLU.

Nice vids Diana,

Looks like taildraggers will have an advantage playing "hide and seek" in your corn.:fingerwag: Wishing you a great Birthday!:cheerswine:

Rick

Nice vids Diana,

Looks like taildraggers will have an advantage playing "hide and seek" in your corn.:fingerwag: Wishing you a great Birthday!:cheerswine: Rick

Thanks! We still had people here until yesterday afternoon, so I'm behind in my posting and photos. It was a fantastic weekend here and I am so glad that so many of my friends were able to come to the farm to enjoy the weekend with us. :yes:

One of the firsts that we had here was the first twin to come in. Here's a sneak preview:

Attachments

• Bruce in the corn (816 x 612).jpg
    Bruce in the corn (816 x 612).jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 30
Thanks! We still had people here until yesterday afternoon, so I'm behind in my posting and photos. It was a fantastic weekend here and I am so glad that so many of my friends were able to come to the farm to enjoy the weekend with us. :yes:

One of the firsts that we had here was the first twin to come in. Here's a sneak preview:
Cool! I thought he was going to LLU!

he did. kim and i picked him and sue up. then he decided the farm was big enough, so he went back and brought in the seneca.

Back