Landing at "Closed" Airport

eventualpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eventualpilot
In the next town over from where I grew up there was a small GA airport, that I visited when I was young to do some airplane watching. From what I understand the field closed in the late 90s/early 00s due to declining use and the death of the owner.

The runways and taxiways were never painted with Xs and the airport is still on sectional charts as "Abandoned." The runway appears to be in fair condition given the neglect over the past 15-20 years.

If one had an aircraft with a sturdy set of tundra (or similar) tires would there be any issues landing there?

The above is a completely hypothetical.

Based on your story and the use of the word "owner", it sounds like it's on private property. That would be an issue! Otherwise, if you have the landowner's permission, it's land at your own risk. The FAA wouldn't care.

Get permission first. Also, if at all possible, I'd walk the field first. You may find that it is not in as good of a condition as it looks from the air, once you visit it on the ground.

Just because it is charted does not mean it is pubic. There would be no FAA regulation preventing landing (other than the blanket reckless operation clause) but there could be local jurisdictional control laws to be broken and/or private property trespassing issues.

Reminds me of a news story a while back where a small plane landed on private property and the owner would not allow them to take off blocking it in with barricades for whatever reason and they had to truck the plane out.

Im thinking if decide to, and worst comes to worst, just say it was an emergency. Make something up like a bee or snake was inside. Maybe you had to very badly use the bathroom.:blush:

If the owner says it's ok, it's all good, just don't biff the landing.

Back