Landing a float plane in a pool

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, that thread title was a lame attempt to make this thread aviation related... but, you COULD land it in THIS pool, the largest pool in the world. It' is more than 1000 yards long, covers 20 acres, has a 115-foot deep end, and holds 66 MILLION gallons of water. It took 5 years to build, cost nearly 1 BILLION dollars and the annual maintenance tab is 2 MILLION.

It's a man-made saltwater lagoon on Chile's southern coast. I didn't believe the pictures, but you can actually see this thing on Google Earth:

pool1.jpg

pool3.jpg

More info: http://www.victory-cruises.com/pool.html

Ok. I have a severe case of reality check itus lately so here goes. Crazy question time:

I could see something like that as a seaplane base. Maybe. Rough surf all the time and trying to land and dock there could be inconvinent at best.

BUT: If you're going to live on the beach, why build a fake beach and pool between you and the ocean? :dunno: I mean if you don't want the ocean there, why not move somewhere else? And if you do want the ocean there, why not just have the real beach and ocean there instead? It's right up there with boarding up your window view of the mountains and putting a picture on the wall of the mountains. It's....silly.

Wow,.. amazing. You can sail on a swimming pool!

Someone should land a plane for sure!

Troy: I have seen that, and it is impressive, but I do not for the briefest slug of second believe that it cost close to a billion dollars.

A billion Chilean Pesos, yes.

Man, the Chilean Peso must be in free-fall. First time I saw this pool thing, a billion CLP worked out to $12M or so, and now it's down to just over 2 million bucks.

$10 to $15 million, I could buy. A bil? No way.

OK, that thread title was a lame attempt to make this thread aviation related... but, you COULD land it in THIS pool, the largest pool in the world. It' is more than 1000 yards long, covers 20 acres, has a 115-foot deep end, and holds 66 MILLION gallons of water. It took 5 years to build, cost nearly 1 BILLION dollars and the annual maintenance tab is 2 MILLION.

It's a man-made saltwater lagoon on Chile's southern coast. I didn't believe the pictures, but you can actually see this thing on Google Earth:

pool1.jpg

pool3.jpg

More info: http://www.victory-cruises.com/pool.html

Uhhhhhh... that would have to be Chile's North/ North Central coast. Chile's Southern coast is not anywhere near like that, think cold, Think Cape Horn...

The real question here though, is could you land a seaplane in one of those current producing lap pools if you turned the current up high enough?

Uhhhhhh... that would have to be Chile's North/ North Central coast. Chile's Southern coast is not anywhere near like that, think cold, Think Cape Horn...

The real question here though, is could you land a seaplane ini one of those current producing lap pools if you turned the current up high enough?

Yea Chilie's souther coast is pretty close to the South Pole compartivley Terra Del Fuego and all.

HA! Exactly what I was thinking! :yes::no::yinyang::drink::drink:

The real question here though, is could you land a seaplane in one of those current producing lap pools if you turned the current up high enough?[/quote]

The real question here though, is could you land a seaplane in one of those current producing lap pools if you turned the current up high enough?

LOL! That's too funny.

A DeHavilland Beaver maybe.

do they have a ferry to the beach if you live in the middle?

If the current were set to the plane's speed in the opposite direction, would it take off (evil grin)?

Back