Land-O-Matic

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Since the ice and snow were still blocking our Citabria hangar door last weekend, Tom and I flew the old beater Skyhawk to an EAA meeting. It was a good reminder that the Cessna 172 is NOT a Land-O-Matic (contrary to what Cessna advertised when it first came out).

The 90-mile flights coming and going were quite bumpy flying along below the cloud deck in moderate turbulence. It was bumpy enough to break Tom’s homemade peanut brittle into more pieces, and they all ended up in one end of the bucket. It’s a good thing we didn’t take a cream pie! :yes:

As we approached the little airport on the hilltop, I could tell it was going to be a fun ride trying to land with the gusting, shifting winds (crosswind 45 to 80 degrees). One airplane had just landed so I figured it might be possible. I announced my intentions at all the usual points in the pattern, and noticed an airplane to the south of the airport as I turned base to land to the south. We kept watching it and it came in and landed in the direction that was not logical considering it had a gusty crosswind combined with a tailwind. No radio announcements. I was hoping it would turn off in time for me to land, but it turned around and back-taxied, so I did a go-around. I had no idea if the pilot ever saw or heard me at the time. Oh well.

The second attempt at landing was the first time in a very long time that I absolutely ran out of rudder trying to line up with the runway, so I did another go-around, thinking I was glad we didn’t bring the Citabria.

As I entered the pattern for the third attempt, Tom and I discussed our options. The very short grass runway that was a bit more aligned into the wind was an option, but we didn’t know how soft the ground would be after the recent snow melt. I opted for using the same runway again with even less flaps. After fighting the gusting, shifting winds, I finally was able to line it up with the runway in the flare and made a not-so-pretty landing, and didn’t break anything (but the peanut brittle.)

I was talking with one of the pilots at the meeting, and he said, “you didn’t land with any flaps, did you?” He also said that he didn’t use flaps with his landing and that he landed with a quartering tailwind because he preferred a crosswind from his left. These are both options that I’d considered, actually. Of course the ultimate option would be not to land there. But, I’d have let Tom try one before we resorted to that. He said at the time “I’ll be quiet unless you want me to talk, but I’ll only give you five tries.” It’s not always easy being a CFI spouse. :)

BTW, when I had Tom read this before posting it, he gave me a smile and a quizzical CFI-type look and asked, “What is a ‘not-so-pretty’ landing??????” :dunno: :D

But, I’d have let Tom try one before we resorted to that. He said at the time “I’ll be quiet unless you want me to talk, but I’ll only give you five tries.” It’s not always easy being a CFI spouse. :)

BTW, when I had Tom read this before posting it, he gave me a smile and a quizzical CFI-type look and asked, “What is a ‘not-so-pretty’ landing??????” :dunno: :D

I will second that Diana, I had to learn to keep my mouth shut when the wife is flying. As a CFI we get so used to giving our input it's hard to turn it off.
It didn't take too many of "the looks" (you women know the one) before I learned when not to say anything.

sounds like a doosey diana. The satisfaction is that much greater after landing, especially if you don't break anything.

“What is a ‘not-so-pretty’ landing??????” :dunno: :D
It is an UGLY landing.

Mike Andrews and I were going to connect up for a Sun N Fun. That's cold and gusty in these parts. He was waiting for me at 3MY - I had gone to pick someone up and it was howling from 90 degrees to the only runway.. The sock was straight out.

On long final I ran out of rudder. I reduced flaps and increased speed. Still abit short on rudder. I took out all flaps and stabilized at 90 mph on final. Still close to the stop. I finally added power to the upwind engine, and watched the wingtip during the whole rollout.

I never got close to touching the wingtip as I was landing on a relatively long (3600 feet) runway with a lot ot airspeed, but that was an UGLY landing.

It is an UGLY landing.

Mike Andrews and I were going to connect up for a Sun N Fun. That's cold and gusty in these parts. He was waiting for me at 3MY - I had gone to pick someone up and it was howling from 90 degrees to the only runway.. The sock was straight out.

On long final I ran out of rudder. I reduced flaps and increased speed. Still abit short on rudder. I took out all flaps and stabilized at 90 mph on final. Still close to the stop. I finally added power to the upwind engine, and watched the wingtip during the whole rollout.

I never got close to touching the wingtip as I was landing on a relatively long (3600 feet) runway with a lot ot airspeed, but that was an UGLY landing.

No it wasn't ugly. It was impressive watching the nose come back inline, though.

The 2nd time *I* had to land at night in the howling winds. As I was approaching for straight in at one point the nose was pointed about 45 degrees to the west and the plane was still drifting east of the centerline. I went around and had an easier time with the winds a little closer to the ground.

You need an east/west runway, Bruce.

I will second that Diana, I had to learn to keep my mouth shut when the wife is flying. As a CFI we get so used to giving our input it's hard to turn it off.
It didn't take too many of "the looks" (you women know the one) before I learned when not to say anything.
:D I read this to Tom and he just smiled that "all-knowing smile".

Diana,
Between this and the bird strikes, it sounds like youse guys have had an interesting time lately. I think I'd rather have the headwind than the tailwind personally, but it's good that you were watching him!

I know that if I go for a CFI before Leslie, I'm really going to have to learn how to keep my mouth shut! I know that look all too well, :)

BTW, as she posted in another thread, she got the cloud ticket today!

:D I read this to Tom and he just smiled that "all-knowing smile".

So Diana, does Tom ever act as your instructor? I do sometimes for my wife, and she says I explain things better than any other instructor she has flown with, and that she learns a lot from me. We don't have any trouble creating a learning/ teaching environment when we fly for the purpose of training. She has been after me to get my II done so we can work on her instrument rating.
I guess we will see how that works out:yes:

So Diana, does Tom ever act as your instructor?
Don, he does at times. That's how we met, actually. I soloed at 16, but didn't get back to taking lessons till years later. Tom was my CFI for my private. Later, after we got married he was my CFII, and I did get my instrument rating. It was different taking instruction from him as a spouse, rather than as a regular guy. Any problems that came up were mostly on my end and not his. Poor guy. :D Tom is very kind, gentle, patient, humble and an excellent, excellent educator. But, sometimes it's hard to go into a different "relationship" mode in the cockpit...sometimes you have to leave the baggage behind, so to speak. :)

I decided to get my flight review with someone else this year, just for a change. He couldn't understand that. :dunno: Unfortunately, the guy I was going to go with wrecked his motorcycle and broke several bones and couldn't fly with me, so I went with Tom anyway.

I do sometimes for my wife, and she says I explain things better than any other instructor she has flown with, and that she learns a lot from me. We don't have any trouble creating a learning/ teaching environment when we fly for the purpose of training.
She has been after me to get my II done so we can work on her instrument rating.
I guess we will see how that works out:yes:
Sounds like a good plan!

I know that if I go for a CFI before Leslie, I'm really going to have to learn how to keep my mouth shut! I know that look all too well, :)
I wish I knew what "the look" looked like. :D The looks I get usually are ones of a quizzical nature, sometimes astonishment, and sometimes his eyes just get really big. :D

Back