Lance takes a hit

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Thursday night one of our local Lances took on a bird. Pilot did a good job landing under the circumstances and had minor injuries.

I think the overhead panel was removed by the mechanics, not the bird.

I've seen some pre-cleanup pictures, it was a mess.

Attachments

• Bird Strike - 2 Nov 14 001small.jpg
    Bird Strike - 2 Nov 14 001small.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Bird Strike - 2 Nov 14 003 small.jpg
    Bird Strike - 2 Nov 14 003 small.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Bird Strike - 2 Nov 14 006 small.jpg
    Bird Strike - 2 Nov 14 006 small.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 250
Looks like it just got the right windscreen and little bit of the headliner,,,, And NO metal parts.....Lucky for sure... And probably not over 1 AMU to fix...:)

Looks like it just got the right windscreen and little bit of the headliner,,,, And NO metal parts.....Lucky for sure... And probably not over 1 AMU to fix...:)
The interior is all on the floor of the hangar, airing out. Leather seats so they were able to wipe them down, but there was a LOT of spray everywhere. There's a hole in the seatback of the pax seat, probably from a piece of windscreen. The pilot got a nasty cut on the back of his right hand.

Looks like 1/4" screen...musta been a big bird!

Looks like 1/4" screen...musta been a big bird!
It looked like 3/16" if there is such a thing, I was looking closely at it and it just didn't seem like it was 1/4".

I take it that the bird is no longer airworthy

I'm pretty sure I know what was the last thing that went through his head...

The line guy that had to clean it up said, "Did you know there's a place you can mail bird goo and find out what kind of bird it was?"

It's called "snarge" by the way:

"The other day we had a bird strike. We sent the sample to the DNA lab and it came back as rabbit. How do you explain to the FAA that we had a rabbit strike at 1,800 feet?"
http://archive.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2005/09/68937

http://www.afsec.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-071025-123.pdf

Last edited:
...SNIP...
"The other day we had a bird strike. We sent the sample to the DNA lab and it came back as rabbit. How do you explain to the FAA that we had a rabbit strike at 1,800 feet?"

A predator bird snatched up some hapless animal, planning on having a good meal. Said bird lost his grip on a not so willing participant.
Can you say MEAT BOMB!

How much to clean the PIlot's seat? :)
From what I saw, and the conditions that night, I have a feeling that guy didn't soil anything - he did a really good job of flying the airplane.

Here's what the back seats looked like:

Attachments

• bird strike.JPG
    bird strike.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 126
From what I saw, and the conditions that night, I have a feeling that guy didn't soil anything - he did a really good job of flying the airplane.

Here's what the back seats looked like:

Strange..... Usually birds don't fly at night..........:confused:

Strange..... Usually birds don't fly at night..........:confused:
About 830 - 900pm local. I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know about geese or other migratory birds that might be moving at that time of night. This time of year there are a lot of birds migrating, and we have enough lakes, ponds, and fields nearby to keep them nearby.

A few years ago a C-152 on a training flight from a nearby field came to our airport for a touch-and-go. On the 'go' they encountered a flock of Canada geese. One 12-lb goose hit the left wing, another went throught the cabin all the way into the tailcone. The airplane landed safely, but required a new windscreen, three feet of wing leading edge, and an industrial-strength interior detailing job.

This is what a goose will do to a 172 horizontal stab:

Attachments

• Picture+003_small.jpg
    Picture+003_small.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 101
  • Picture+004_small.jpg
    Picture+004_small.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
Birds are one of the things that scare me the most when flying. In the glider I fear them less than I do in a single though.

One of my first trips in our Lance with the wife, on about 3 mile final, dove down about 300 feet suddenly. Had to point out the buzzard we ducked under to the wife after she screamed and thought she was going to die.

It looked like 3/16" if there is such a thing, I was looking closely at it and it just didn't seem like it was 1/4".

I'm pretty sure I know what was the last thing that went through his head...

The line guy that had to clean it up said, "Did you know there's a place you can mail bird goo and find out what kind of bird it was?"

It's called "snarge" by the way:

Simple, bird of prey had rabbit in its digestive tract that still had recognizable DNA when it splattered. By chance that was the sample they picked. Funny but not amazing.

One of my first trips in our Lance with the wife, on about 3 mile final, dove down about 300 feet suddenly. Had to point out the buzzard we ducked under to the wife after she screamed and thought she was going to die.

I had to do something like that cruising along at a couple thousand feet. I was by myself. No screaming, but it was still weird looking over and seeing my iPad floating in the air next to me!

I've been lucky enough to only hit one with my landing gear strut.

Stuck on all the way until shutdown.

Must have been the right thing in that instance but I've always been told if at the same altitude to pull up, birds tend to go down.

Back