Lancaster PA Sat 10/21 - lunch and a ride home?

poadeleted20

Deleted
Got a call from Lancaster Avionics just now – they start on my avionics upgrade Monday, which means dropping the plane tomorrow (Saturday, 10/21). Anyone want to have lunch at LNS and drop me at Salisbury?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Levy said:
Got a call from Lancaster Avionics just now – they start on my avionics upgrade Monday, which means dropping the plane tomorrow (Saturday, 10/21). Anyone want to have lunch at LNS and drop me at Salisbury?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

I've got a cold right now so I've grounded myself. But please post again when the airplane is ready for pickup - I'll be glad to give you a lift up to LNS.

Ron Levy said:

Thanks,
Ron

Hmmmm...I do need to land in Maryland...

Thanks to those who responded – I have a ride. That said, I’d love to see others join us for lunch – noon at Fiorentino’s in the main terminal (ask to park on the West Ramp). And the wonderful AirWays pilot shop is both open and willing to give you a lift down to the other end of the flight line after lunch.

Fly safe,
Ron

Ron Levy said:
Thanks to those who responded – I have a ride. That said, I’d love to see others join us for lunch – noon at Fiorentino’s in the main terminal (ask to park on the West Ramp). And the wonderful AirWays pilot shop is both open and willing to give you a lift down to the other end of the flight line after lunch.

Fly safe,
Ron
Ron -

I'm going to try to be there -- the R44 is free (well, maybe not free from cost)!

Want a helo ride to Lancaster PA Sat 10/21 - lunch?

PM me if you're in the N99 area and want a ride to have lunch with Cap'n Ron.

Thanks so much to FlyingRon for the ride home. Lunch at Fiorentino's with Ron as well as Bob Bruneau (and his passenger, the other Bob) who rotored in for the meal. If y'all haven't seen Ron's Navion, it looks even better inside than in his picture -- the panel, the avionics, the instrumentation, the interior -- absolutely show-class. I only hope Lancaster Avionics makes my panel look even half as good!

It was nice meeting Ron again and meeting FlyingRob. Bob Thanks for (my first) great helicopter ride. If only I had the money to do that.

Bob

Attachments

• IMGA0065.JPG
    IMGA0065.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMGA0051.JPG
    IMGA0051.JPG
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGA0059.JPG
    IMGA0059.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMGA0055.JPG
    IMGA0055.JPG
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMGA0071.JPG
    IMGA0071.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMGA0048.JPG
    IMGA0048.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11
Ron,

How did you choose Lancaster Avionics to do your Tiger's panel?

I asked around a lot (including here) and took the inputs from many people. I visited several and narrowed it down to four. I eliminated Hagerstown with some regret, as they had done excellent work on my last two planes, but their prices are significantly higher than other shops that do work just about as good, and they are a long way from SBY. Quaker Avionics closed. Penn Avionics couldn't figure out how to get approval to install the JPI EDM-930, which is not yet STC'd for the AA-5x (although is TSO'd, so it can be installed with field approval); they said I'd have to find a FSDO for the field approval -- IMO, that's their job, not mine. Lancaster Avionics is within an hour of SBY, is highly recommended, looked good on visit, and sees no problems with the 930. Done deal.

Ron Levy said:
Iapproval to install the JPI EDM-930, which is not yet STC'd for the AA-5x (although is TSO'd, so it can be installed with field approval); they said I'd have to find a FSDO for the field approval -- IMO, that's their job, not mine. Lancaster Avionics is within an hour of SBY, is highly recommended, looked good on visit, and sees no problems with the 930. Done deal.

Ron,

I've been considering the JPI EDM 930 for my Mooney...after installation I'd love to take a look and hear details.

Thanks,

Len

Capt Kirk said:
I've been considering the JPI EDM 930 for my Mooney...after installation I'd love to take a look and hear details.
Probably won't be done until Thanksgiving, but I'll let folks know when I'm picking it up, and maybe we can all meet at LNS for the grand unveiling.

Ron Levy said:
Probably won't be done until Thanksgiving, but I'll let folks know when I'm picking it up, and maybe we can all meet at LNS for the grand unveiling.

Thanks. Best of luck with the install.

Len

Good info Ron. Quaker avionics closed??? They had a good reputation. I've used Penn Avionics in the past for some small stuff and they were fine. Didn't they move somewhere from Perk Valley? I don't know much about Lancaster, so we'll wait to hear your report. Thanks.

Anthony said:
Good info Ron. Quaker avionics closed??? They had a good reputation. I've used Penn Avionics in the past for some small stuff and they were fine. Didn't they move somewhere from Perk Valley? I don't know much about Lancaster, so we'll wait to hear your report. Thanks.
Penn Avionics is at Brandywine, Anthony.

RotaryWingBob said:
Penn Avionics is at Brandywine, Anthony.

OK, yeah I'd heard they moved, but forgot where. Thanks.

Ron Levy said:

that would be cool..

And if not, you'd be welcome to ride up with me. I like the idea of another mid-atlantic meet-n-greet.

First hitch in the upgrade...

Seems there's a lot more wrong with the Century I autopilot than just an overhaul of the existing TC/controller unit -- it would cost $4K to fix it all. Considering how wimpy a C-I is, it ain't worth that much to me. Alternatives are to dump it and stick in a regular TC or to put in an S-Tec 20, and I don't have $9K for the latter choice in the piggy bank just now. I've managed to survive some 450 hours in the plane with a disfunctional autopilot; I guess I'll have to struggle through a few hundred more...

Ron Levy said:

Seems there's a lot more wrong with the Century I autopilot than just an overhaul of the existing TC/controller unit -- it would cost $4K to fix it all. Considering how wimpy a C-I is, it ain't worth that much to me. Alternatives are to dump it and stick in a regular TC or to put in an S-Tec 20, and I don't have $9K for the latter choice in the piggy bank just now. I've managed to survive some 450 hours in the plane with a disfunctional autopilot; I guess I'll have to struggle through a few hundred more...

Might you be able to find an STec 20 used for less money, or are they rare?

If you're going to replace your TC, might one of the new lifesaver electric AIs with inclinometer be a good idea? At least when you get money for a new AP you wouldn't be throwing the backup AI away, just move it to a new location.

Anthony said:
Quaker avionics closed??? They had a good reputation.

From what I've heard Bob ****ed off a very popular avionics manufacturer by selling units below their list price...they cut him off. Avionics shop can't do business if they can't sell items from this particular manufacturer these days.

Len

TMetzinger said:
Might you be able to find an STec 20 used for less money, or are they rare?
When you add in the installation, the GPSS and the heading bug DG, the money saved wouldn't make a difference in the decision.

If you're going to replace your TC, might one of the new lifesaver electric AIs with inclinometer be a good idea? At least when you get money for a new AP you wouldn't be throwing the backup AI away, just move it to a new location.
I fly so much partial panel giving IR training that I don't feel any significant improvement in safety with an AI vs TC, and I can spend the extra $1000 better by saving it for the S-Tec. And yes, I've had a vacuum pump failure in IMC before, so I've BTDT already. Plus, I'd have to toss that AI later when I get the S-Tec.

Capt Kirk said:
From what I've heard Bob ****ed off a very popular avionics manufacturer by selling units below their list price...they cut him off. Avionics shop can't do business if they can't sell items from this particular manufacturer these days.

Len

Thanks Len. That s*cks. Maybe he should re-open under another name. You don't have to even mention the name of the manufacturer. I've heard they can be difficult.

Ron Levy said:

Seems there's a lot more wrong with the Century I autopilot than just an overhaul of the existing TC/controller unit -- it would cost $4K to fix it all.

My 1964 M20C had a Mooney badged Cessna autopilot. Single axis, would vor nav track or heading track based on a heading dial on the autopilot box. In either mode it would hunt back and forth and I never trusted it. Repair cost was similar and no guarentees. To quote one repair facility "Wow, you have one of them and it still almost works". When the plane was apart for the engine overhaul I had the A&P pull it all out. I forget how much useful load I got back, maybe 10 pounds. I'd rather have the 10 pounds.

I'm saving for a 2 axis STec. I don't know if I need or want to spend the extra bucks for the GPSS. I'd like to plug in a Century HSI at the same time as the autopilot. As long as we are talking avionics...I was thinking of going with a Garmin 530 as a GPS but since the weather option came out on the handhelds I'm thinking the 480 with a handheld 496 to provide the weather (so much cheaper than the 530 with weather do dads).

Len

As long as it's in pieces, Todd's going to plumb the plane for later installation of an S-Tec 20 or 30 -- that will save installation costs later, but not add anything significant to the current extensive work. Smart guy, that Todd.

Len,

Here is a write up & pics from the Socata Owners Page. Thought you may be interested.

Gary Gembala

Here's the before and after, it really cleaned up the dash. I did leave the old RPM gage in as a back up. It' a third RPM read out and very redundant and as I get use to the JPI I'm sure it will be removed down the road. The panel by the co pilots knee was removed altogether, which was the clock,outside temp, Hobbs. The GPS panel was relocated to the top pilots panel, where it should have been in the first place. The alarm panel lights was increased by two. One was a blank spare the other installed new. As I get use to this unit I will do a write up on it. By the way I bought this unit for $5600.00 4 months ago, its now selling for $8100.00. That's got to be a first for me.

It's an STC unit, so yes, the primary instruments were replaced. The IA also sent in a 337 so that it would be on file with the FAA. Not only were the primary instruments replace, but the TAC, Hobbs, and OAT gauges were also replaced. On start up, the remote screen will scroll across with “Primary instrument for TB-9 SER number 1332” and the same is shown at the bottom of the main screen. In my case, a lot of extras were added by installing the 930.
The first problem off the bat was the floating fuel sensors. They were casing the digital fuel gages to bounce up and down with every movement. JPI fixed that with a software upgrade. The other problems have been with a disagreement between the IA, the AV guys and JPI. I was getting hot temps and the IA was saying no way could that be true temps. JPI is saying I have a leaned carburetor and the IA says no, based on the mixture travel, but he still won't check the carb. ****ing contest. Anyway, the biggest problem was with the RPM probe after they replaced 2 probes the AV guy finally checks the pins and finds out that JPI didn't crimp them right. Now everything seems to work fine. JPI has been great getting to the bottom of all the little problems and questions. Excellent service on their part even paying shipping both ways when there's a problem.
How do I like it? It's one the best things around, I love it. All the info you need with a single glance. It is great, not only does it have bar graphs and numbers but they are in full living color like a TV set. If the temp goes to the yellow the whole bar turns yellow and the numbers that show the temp turn yellow. On top of that there’s a remote light which we installed into the warning light bar so it flashes if anything goes out of the green. If that happens, the word Alert flashes at the top of the screen in red and the reason for the alert is flashing at the bottom of the screen, also in red. But wait, there’s one more, if the temp or warning is a major alert like RPM or temps in the red, the remote screens will also start flashing with item that needs attention. So flying it only takes one look at the screen and if the only colors of the bars and numbers are green your ok. If not looking the light on the dash will get your attention. A second light came with it for low fuel. We installed that into the warning bar also. I just figured out I no longer need those little blue lights under the stack.
Things to consider if you get one.
Try to have it installed by a person who has done a 930 before or has a rep of being a great AV man. One of the installers, and appears has a close relationship with JPI, got involved in my problems at JPI's request. I asked him if all the units have problems as I was having. He told there are several hundred units out there and once and a while you have one with problems like mine but they all get fixed. Just my luck.
If you go with someone who’s never done one, get a flat rate price up front and not a by the hour. Don’t want to pay for their learning curve. If they done it before they know already how many hours it will take, JPI says 40 hours. Have your plan up front where to installed the remote screen and if your going to install the lights in the warning light bar have your parts ordered ahead of time from France. Then there’s the fuel line you have to switch over to the American style and that took a while for them to build the new lines with the new American connecters. The 930 keeps track of the total airframe time and total engine time, so no more guessing and changes when a tech or Hobbs is replaced.
If you look at my pic, you will see there really nothing else to add to the dash. In fact if I get an HSI if will free up more room. The analog TAC was left in at the bottom as a back up. So I ask this question. What do I need a co pilots dash for now? Of course it would be great for a 20”DVD screen

Attachments

• before_dash.jpg
    before_dash.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 5
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4
  • dash3.jpg
    dash3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0760.jpg
    100_0760.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 6
OH Flier said:
. By the way I bought this unit for $5600.00 4 months ago, its now selling for $8100.00. That's got to be a first for me.

Gary,

Thanks. The price is a bit of a kicker. Up until just recently I was looking at list prices that were about $2,600 (IIRC) but that was for the model that can only go in to an expermental. That doesn't do me any good. I figured out that the price was significantly higher for a certified aircraft. The forty hours to install is nothing to sneeze at either.

Len

Back