FBH
He is at it again....

The guy has guts........ That's for sure....'

Subject: Bill's polar flight

Good morning,

In case you're interested in following Bill's attempt to fly around both poles,
here's the web link:

https://go.spidertracks.com/fleetpro/public/zqpilot

There are 4 small icons at the top left, the airplane icon puts a panel at the left that shows what ZQ is doing.
Use the plus to zoom in or the minus to zoom out. You use the pile of papers icon to determine the view. Try hybrid view.

If you click the X, it will take you to a screen where you select Tracks and then click on the top latest date.
Once he's flying this will get you Bill's track as it is reported by Spidertracks. (it also shows him taxiing while on the ground)
You must click on the last little teardrop to get his latest position info in a box on the screen.
As he gets closer to some interesting landmarks you can zoom in.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for a safe journey,

Sue

That's a very impressive fuel burn and oil consumption. However they built that engine, they did a good job! Of course, I also suspect that his power settings were low, which helps.

Well he certainly didn't wast any time resting on his laurels....

I would have found an island to vacation on for a while after 38hrs in a cockpit..:wink2:

he probably figured he might as well do the polar flight before he got feeling back in his butt :)

go man go!

This guy has stones bigger then anyone else I have ever known.

he probably figured he might as well do the polar flight before he got feeling back in his butt :)

go man go!

There's also probably something to do with weather patterns, and this time of year might be most favorable overall.

Awesome! Should be interesting to watch. Maybe he can do it in a 150 next.

After taking a couple days rest, he's back in the air! Looks like he's either heading to the southern tip of South America or else Antarctica.

For a second there I thought Gus McLeod was at it again.

So on his 2nd leg he landed in Punta Arenas, Chile. Near the southern tip of South America.

Just saw this TV interview Bill did for Brazilian TV and in the end of the clip you can see the Lancair flying off with what looks like a trailing wire. Reminds me of the old days when pioneering aviators reeled out antenna wire to improve reception. Could that be what it is?

With satellite phones and GPS tracking, it's amazing that this is still done. But I'm sure he has prepared for everything.

http://rob.com/lancair/2013.03/n6zq.mp4

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 9.57.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 9.57.31 AM.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 17
As per the link he has not moved in a few days, anyone know why?

Sitting in Chile waiting on weather. Maybe Saturday.

Just saw this TV interview Bill did for Brazilian TV and in the end of the clip you can see the Lancair flying off with what looks like a trailing wire. Reminds me of the old days when pioneering aviators reeled out antenna wire to improve reception. Could that be what it is?

With satellite phones and GPS tracking, it's amazing that this is still done. But I'm sure he has prepared for everything.

http://rob.com/lancair/2013.03/n6zq.mp4

HF antenna is exactly what it is. There's only so much modernizing you can do with a radio antenna. This is how ATC is handled, that works on HF and he is required the equipment.

Back