Lancair Evolution visibility?

Palamedes

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jason Ellis
Okay so the Lancair Evolution is a sexy machine.. ( but priced out of my budget.. too bad.. heh )

One thing I noticed is it seems like it would be tough to see out of, or at least the window configuration makes visibility seem limited.. Thoughts? Anyone sat in one of these?

I flew N427LE, the only piston Evolution that I know of in existence. Flew it a few times, it's been a few years.

From the front seat (where I always sat), I don't recall the visibility being poor, at least forward. Side visibility wasn't terrible, but keep in mind I'm used to twins where I have engine nacelles in my way.

It was a very nice plane to fly, although 350 HP is a bit too anemic for it in my opinion. While the 750 HP PT-6 version I think is a bit more than it needs, a 450-550 HP engine would be optimal on performance and economy. The advantage to the piston is the range - fuel tanks are the same size, piston gets better miles per gallon.

Cool! Thanks!

It's a very nice looking plane to be sure and I'd love to get into one or more likely a legacy RG-550.. but $250k for a kit is rough.. Doable, but tough to get passed by "She who makes decisions."

The Evolution at $545k would be amazing, but that's way out side my price range.

Good to know that visibility isn't an issue..

I found the Evolution really nice overall. The price point is good for a new plane, especially since it includes their "builder assist" so that you basically have a turn-key plane in 2 weeks. No matter what, it's out of our price range, but if I were in the market for a new $1M plane, that would probably be around the top of my list. And definitely vs a new TBM.

The Evolution at $545k would be amazing, but that's way out side my price range.

That doesn't include the engine package - you're going to be in the $1.1M to $1.2M range to get it airborne.

That doesn't include the engine package - you're going to be in the $1.1M to $1.2M range to get it airborne.

The piston engine will be much cheaper than the turboprop, at least to buy. Maintenance will probably be expensive on it, at least when it breaks.

Back