Lakefront New Orleans

Merf

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Merf 45R
Flying to New Orleans next month. What advice do you have on Lakefront? FBO's, flying in from the west, etc. Will be there for two nights.

Thanks

Merf

I always used Aviaport, pre-Katrina, and their service was excellent. Seemed to me that they were a lot more interested in the piston crowd than Millionair.

Aviaport has, fairly recently, reopened, in temporary facilities (like Millionair). I'd go to them first, if for no other reason than I am pulling for the little guy.

The Lakefront Airport web site ( www.lakefrontairport.com ) has an updated map of the airport that you'll want to have along to spot facilities.

Used to be the best cab driver in the world (Mr. Ford, drove a Chevy Van) wa sthe only one we'd call, I have not tried since Katrina, do not know if he is back in NOLA or not. His number is (was?) 504 881 0424. Either FBO will call a cab for you, and you should call their ARINC freq about 10 minutes out to get that lined up in advance, less waiting.

Only the long 18-36 (18L / 36R) runway is open, and no ILS available; GPS would be the preferred approach, I'd think (ILS is still published, so I suppose it's possible it's up and running again, but I suspect that it won't be until the tower is re-opened).

Oh yeah.

The tower is closed (they had a temporary one for the Sugar Bowl crowd).

The neighborhood around it is a wasteland, and if you've been there before, I expect it will make you want to cry.

Go eat at Galatoire's. It's too good to miss.

Minimal services. ILS is not back up yet, only GPS, VOR and VOR/DME. :(

http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/chart/aptrpt.cfm?a=7&id=NEW&tab=NOTAMs

MSY approach is accomodating. They'll work you through to KNEW easily. Watch for jet traffic out of the joint naval reserve base if you go around the south side. Helicopters, too.

I need to make a run to KNEW if only for airport morale support. The original terminal is an architectural landmark in desperate need of restoration.

Last edited:
We landed there in June and went to MillionAir (they were the only FBO open at the time). If you can, I highly recommend landing there and going to MillionAir. Here's why:

When we called the airports to see who was open, the folks at MSY were denigrating KNEW and MillionAir and told us they didn't have any services, we couldn't get fuel, no air-conditioning, etc. Something about the woman's tone was weird so we called MillionAir anyway. Rose at MillionAir was upset, told us we weren't the first people to report this, that she had everything we needed at KNEW and to come on over. That was all we needed to hear.

When we got there, we were very impressed. The line service was great. Although they were operating out of a FEMA trailer, it was air-conditioned, nicely furnished, and had a decent flight planning computer. Rose got us a great hotel rate and a cab. She told us that MillionAir was committed to that airport and she was operating with a cell phone and a generator because they still had no land lines or electrical service.

I've never thought of MillionAir as the "little guy" before! The spirit and fortitude of those folks really got to me. I received better service there than I've had in a long time (even at other MillionAir facilities) and we travel A LOT.

Sorry this response is so long to such a straigforward question, but I was really impressed by them and haven't had the opportunity to get back that way myself.

Enjoy the big easy and have a beignet at cafe du monde pour moi. :)

Millionair was long a supporter of the effort to keep KNEW from being "privatized", which would have disproportionatly affected small planes. I always had good experiences there.

Either one will treat you well. I have been out there a few times since the storm and always have seemed to deal with MillionAir, but that was mainly because they were open at the time. Aviaport has always been better to the little prop than the jets, just my two cents.

Either one will treat you well. I have been out there a few times since the storm and always have seemed to deal with MillionAir, but that was mainly because they were open at the time. Aviaport has always been better to the little prop than the jets, just my two cents.

Gunther- Welcome to POA!

The "better to the little prop" thing- matched my experience. YMMV.

I am still bummed that the Fairmont (the old Roosevelt) has not re-opened, and as of now, there are apparently no pending plans to get it reopened. I fear the worst.

I have flown into KNEW 6 times in the past few months (Pt 135 out of HOU), and have used both Millionaire and Aviaport.

Both were very helpful, but vehicle access and comfort are superior at Millionaire (as stated earlier in this thread). They are using a triple wide trailer as their FBO. The service was every bit what you would expect from them!
Aviaport is still cleaning up their section of the ramp, and during my last visit (Sugar Bowl) had limited ramp space. They have extremely small facilities (a single FEMA trailer), just barely enough for a desk and a computer. Very friendly guys!

Back