Lake Texoma State Park (F31)

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
My family was invited to hang out at a friend's lake house on the OK side this upcoming weekend. F31 looks to be about 5 miles or so from the house. I did a search on here for PIREPS and info, but most of what I found looks a bit outdated.

I know it's unattended and I'm not sure about tiedowns and the like. Is there any worth in flying into this strip for the weekend in order to save a 3 hour drive each way? Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heck, that doesn't look that bad. The overhead view from Google map looks pretty good. But, it's difficult to tell if you'll have any obstacles to deal with when you take off. I guess it would depend on what you intend to fly, how much weight you're carrying and the DA at the intended time of takeoff.

A small, moderate/lightly loaded single shouldn't be a problem. A big, heavily loaded single on a hot day...problem.

Tiedowns? I really doubt it. You live in OK, I don't have to tell you about T-Storms this time of the year. I would be a little nervous about leaving a plane at a unattended State Park strip for the weekend, unless I was camping there or staying very close by. But, KDUA is only 13nm east...

Last edited:
Been a while since I was there, but it is fine, and (unless they were removed) tie-down chains are in place. Landing south (as you surely will), the field slopes downhill a bit, don't be fooled. Trees on south end, but not too big. Watch for deer, I have seen them there before. Used to, there were a number of cars parked adjacent by (presumably) pilots who have lake houses.

Not sure what's happening there, the Lodge was closed and demoed as part of a staggeringly corrupt deal to allow developers to build condos on state land. I believe the Corps of a Engineers put the kibosh on that.

I'd be in a fairly lightly loaded single, so I'd be planning on DA not being too much of an issue upon when I arrive and depart. KDUA looks like a good alternate, but more inconvenient for whoever has to pick us up.

It's been a good number of years since I've driven by the airport and (former) lodge area. I heard that the lodge was torn down by McClendon's group (IIRC) and that's where my concern for the airport being suitable stems from. With no lodge there, I figured the airport might be largely neglected or things like tiedowns being removed was likely.

3T0 might be better. It's on the TX side, but it right next to the highway. Nice folk there, and you are right on the water. Tiedowns on the south side near the hangar. They might be better off picking you up by boat at the Cedar Mills marina, or just walk out to the giant tree and stand near the beach. On approach, you'll know exactly what tree I'm referring to.

3T0 might be better. It's on the TX side, but it right next to the highway. Nice folk there, and you are right on the water. Tiedowns on the south side near the hangar. They might be better off picking you up by boat at the Cedar Mills marina, or just walk out to the giant tree and stand near the beach. On approach, you'll know exactly what tree I'm referring to.

I've wanted to fly into there, because it looks great. It's nice to know there's at least some form of accommodation for the plane there. However, I know it's quite a haul from where our host's boat is to Cedar Mills. Same by car, considering they are located east of Kingston, OK, just over the HWY 70 lake bridge. I'd like to keep it as convenient as possible for everyone. If F31 is just a horrible idea and having to be picked up from one of the other airports is just a pain in everyone else's sides, I might just elect to drive.

I bet the state park strip is just fine. It is still maintained by the state.

Why not call them up and ask?

I took your advice and called them today and was told they have tiedowns, so that's good. They also passed along the same info you did about the slope of the runway and the fact that deer like to occupy the runway and its general vicinity at pretty much all times of day.

So...looks like a go for this weekend, weather permitting, with KDUA as an alternate if DA seems to be an issue. It shouldn't be in a lightly loaded Cherokee 180.

I've never been there, but I've been to a challenging strip near Beaver Lake in AR... with deer as well. I'd recommend a low pass to look for deer, and hopefully scare them back into the woods, before committing to the landing.

Have fun!

I've never been there, but I've been to a challenging strip near Beaver Lake in AR... with deer as well. I'd recommend a low pass to look for deer, and hopefully scare them back into the woods, before committing to the landing.

Have fun!

Probably a good procedure, for sure. Duly noted!

I used to live in Durant and the field was fairly well maintained then, but that has been 7 years ago. I have used the state park strips at Lake Eufaula recently and they are in great shape. They also no longer have lodges there and it doesn't seem to have negatively affected conditions. I would assume Texoma is in similar shape, but that is only an assumption. It's a real shame about the lodge. It's even worse that the golf course closed.

Back