La Veta Pass Advice

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Has anyone here flown through the La Veta Pass, west to east? Looking at the sectional, it appears I just need to get to Alamosa VOR, head north east (050ish) from the VOR, find the road, and follow the south fork of the road to Cuchara Valley.

I'll be at 9500 feet.

Sound right to everyone?

Also - would the Monarch Pass be just as easy?

There are many more experienced mountain flyers here, like Eric Jensen whom I'm sure will give his excellent advice. I have not yet been though La Veta, but we'll be probably using it when we go to Taos later this year. I would use La Veta instead of Monarch as its about 2,000 ft. lower. The Alamosa AWOS can report on the western side of the pass and I would monitor that before entering the pass and make sure winds and weather are within your limits. There is also an AWOS in La Veta pass, so I would monitor that also.

9,500 ft. is too low. Road level is 9,380 ft. I like 2,000 ft. clearance so a minimum of 11,500 or higher. In fact, I like to get up to 12,500 or higher any time I enter the mountains.

Nick. What is your ultimate destination?

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
Sound right to everyone?

Also - would the Monarch Pass be just as easy?
I agree with Anthony in that 9,500' is too low for LaVeta pass. Monarch Pass is even higher and narrower.

Here's a site which describes the Colorado mountain passes.

Colorado passes

Relative Flat lander here,... well not as much a flat lander as those from the midwest but we don't have to fly thru passes here in the east b/c our mountains are older and don't really get higher than 7500'. So my question to Anthony and Mari is how long are you in the passes. Long enough to need O2?

AdamZ said:
how long are you in the passes. Long enough to need O2?
How long you are in the passes definitely depends on the direction you are going. I'm reluctant to answer the O2 question because that depends on the height of the pass itself, how high you plan to clear it by (at least 2,000') and how fast your airplane can climb.

In my previous job I spent a lot of time flying in the mountains around here, but it was in airplanes that were turbocharged and had built-in O2 (C-TU206 and C-320). Even so I scared myself a number of times. The thought of taking a small, modestly powered airplane into the mountains on anything but the most benign days is not appealing to me at all. :no:

AdamZ said:
Relative Flat lander here,... well not as much a flat lander as those from the midwest but we don't have to fly thru passes here in the east b/c our mountains are older and don't really get higher than 7500'. So my question to Anthony and Mari is how long are you in the passes. Long enough to need O2?

Well it depends on the headwind going into the pass. You could be in there forever. :no:

Seriously, if the winds are light, (and I will only fly in the mountains with light winds, 15 knots or less) your through most of the passes pretty quickly. It depends on which pass. They are all different.

O2 is a personal thing. If you're coming from sea level, you'll need it faster than someone living at 6,000 ft. At 12,500 - 14,000 you can legally fly without O2 for 30 minutes. Is this wise? It depends on your physiology. I do it, but others may not be able to. IMHO, If your coming from low elevations, and are going to do mountain flying, an O2 bottle should be on your list of things to borrow, rent or buy.

The instuctor in my CPA Mountain Flying Course specifically told us NOT to fly through Independence, Rollins and Monarch pass!

Use these AWOS's to get weather before and during your flight.

http://www.colorado-aeronautics.org/aeroawos.htm

Last edited:
Nick, if you haven't taken one, seriously consider taking a mountain flying course sometime soon. Despite what we tend to think of our respective states, we ARE in mountain country and need to fly accordingly.

If one isn't offered in your area, fly down to DVT (Deer Valley, PHX) to take one at Westwind. You'll have to fly their C172R's (they go for the lesser HP for more effect) but you'll get both ground and flight time (plus it counts toward Wings if you do some stalls).

Where are you going? La Veta and Monarch don't really lead to the same place.

La Veta is usually pretty easy pass unless the wind is strong out of the due west. The you can get a good venturi going with the usual bumps and big ups and downs. I don't follow the highway, the ridge to the south is just about as low and farther away from the turbulance off the Blanca Peak. The railroad goes that way. 11,500 should be plenty.

Monarch can be a challenge in all but light winds. I use Marshall, just to the south rather than Monarch.

If I'm heading from your area to Denver I use Haygen pass, just west of Poncha Pass near Salida.

ejensen said:
If I'm heading from your area to Denver I use Haygen pass, just west of Poncha Pass near Salida.

Eric. If you were going to Taos, would you use Hayden pass over La Veta or Mosca?

Anthony said:
Eric. If you were going to Taos, would you use Hayden pass over La Veta or Mosca?

Yes, for me coming from Fort Collins, it is almost a straight shot to Taos over Hayden. Coming from FTG it is less an advantage. Looking at the route quick in Cirrus, I'd probably still go behind Pikes Peak, the either Hayden or down the Wet Mountain valley to Mosca depending on the clouds and wind. This avoids getting around COS and the MOAs.

Last edited:
ejensen said:
Yes, for me coming from Fort Collins, it is almost a straight shot to Taos over Haygen. Coming from FTG it is less an advantage. Looking at the route quick in Cirrus, I'd probably still go behind Pikes Peak, the either Hayden or down the Wet Mountain valley to Mosca depending on the clouds and wind. This avoids getting around COS and the MOAs.

Right. Thanks. Looks like a pretty easy shot. Would you suggest using VR413 more or less from Palmer Lake towards Lake George then south form there?

ejensen said:
Yes, for me coming from Fort Collins, it is almost a straight shot to Taos over Haygen. Coming from FTG it is less an advantage. Looking at the route quick in Cirrus, I'd probably still go behind Pikes Peak, the either Hayden or down the Wet Mountain valley to Mosca depending on the clouds and wind. This avoids getting around COS and the MOAs.

That's my plan, essentially SKX (TAOS) direct 3V5. I'm interested in this Haygen Pass. I'll have to research more. I was thinking Monarch would work for a direct route, but now I have to find Haygen on the sectional.

Altitude tip through Haygen?

Found it - Hayden, not Haygen (my bad). It looks like a fairly short pass, but it doesn't have an AWOS like La Veta. Still - looks like a direct shot. Any tips finding it? Doesn't look like theres a lot of identifying landmarks around it (besides the ranch)

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Right. Thanks. Looks like a pretty easy shot. Would you suggest using VR413 more or less from Palmer Lake towards Lake George then south form there?

Yeah, VR413 is pretty much it, a little north. Once you get to Woodland Park you can pretty much go direct to Hayden Pass. If Hayden doesn't look good then turn more south and go over Canyon City and Silverwest and take a look at Mosca then La Veta. I like to get over on the west side if I can. It is usually smoother over there.

You can sneak in behind the AFA then tight around Pikes Peak for some nice scenery but only in nice weather. It's easier if Airburst MOA is cold.

SkyHog said:
That's my plan, essentially SKX (TAOS) direct 3V5. I'm interested in this Haygen Pass. I'll have to research more. I was thinking Monarch would work for a direct route, but now I have to find Haygen on the sectional.

Altitude tip through Haygen?

Found it - Hayden, not Haygen (my bad). It looks like a fairly short pass, but it doesn't have an AWOS like La Veta. Still - looks like a direct shot. Any tips finding it? Doesn't look like theres a lot of identifying landmarks around it (besides the ranch)

In light winds I use 115 or 12, 13+ if winds are 15 or more. Over 30 I go try somewhere else. It is a very short pass, your across in a minute or so. The Pass is pretty easy to spot as a deep notch in the Sangre's. You see a short strip of above timberline ridge the timbered saddle of the pass, then the main Sangre range start. BTW, one of the most beautiful ranges to fly by in CO, IMHO.

I have many of the passes I use waypointed in my GPS. I'll look it up tonight and post.

You can get an idea of the winds from Wolf Cr and Monarch AWOS. Or watch the snow blowing off the mtns on the left.:)

If it is bumpy, you'll want to head a little east after the pass and follow the South Platte down out of the hills then turn north. Otherwise direct 3V5 is a pretty flight over the Tarryalls, past Mt Evans and behind Boulder (watch for gliders). 3V5 is still open.

edit: Lat/Long for Hayden Pass N38 18.992 W105 50.407

Last edited:
Thanks Eric. You da man.

ejensen said:
In light winds I use 115 or 12, 13+ if winds are 15 or more. Over 30 I go try somewhere else. It is a very short pass, your across in a minute or so. The Pass is pretty easy to spot as a deep notch in the Sangre's. You see a short strip of above timberline ridge the timbered saddle of the pass, then the main Sangre range start. BTW, one of the most beautiful ranges to fly by in CO, IMHO.

I have many of the passes I use waypointed in my GPS. I'll look it up tonight and post.

You can get an idea of the winds from Wolf Cr and Monarch AWOS. Or watch the snow blowing off the mtns on the left.:)

If it is bumpy, you'll want to head a little east after the pass and follow the South Platte down out of the hills then turn north. Otherwise direct 3V5 is a pretty flight over the Tarryalls, past Mt Evans and behind Boulder (watch for gliders). 3V5 is still open.

edit: Lat/Long for Hayden Pass N38 18.992 W105 50.407

Dude - you are the man! Your advice just saved me a bunch of time on my flight planning, and the coordinate will come in VERY handy.

If you want to come see my Lobos destroy the Rams, you're invited. The ticket will be on me.

Ok - one more for ya. From Hayden Pass to 3V5, do you head all the way out to COS to get out of the mountains, or do you just fly over the mountains up? Looking at satellite photos and sectionals, it looks like you'd have to stay up at 11500 the whole way to Jeffco if you did it that way.

Of course, I could just plan VFR on the eastern edge of the mountains....

SkyHog said:
Ok - one more for ya. From Hayden Pass to 3V5, do you head all the way out to COS to get out of the mountains, or do you just fly over the mountains up? Looking at satellite photos and sectionals, it looks like you'd have to stay up at 11500 the whole way to Jeffco if you did it that way.

Of course, I could just plan VFR on the eastern edge of the mountains....

Following the Arkansas down to Canyon City and then out onto the plains is a good out if South Park is socked in or the wind is howling. South Park is the big relatively flat high plateau from Lake George West. You'd then work you way around COS and north to 3V5. I prefer to stay west to save time and the scenery is better.

If you go direct from the pass, you would have to stay that high or even a little higher to cross a couple of ridges. The Tarryall Mtns need around 12500. I like to do this in good winds as it is a pretty flight and stays away from traffic. Still have a pretty good out to the east.

But if you don't want to stay that high or the bumps are bad you can turn just slightly east and pretty much follow the South Platte drainage down then turn north along the edga of the Cls B or duck under and follow the VFR route up I-25. Look along the 10 30 isogonic line on the sectional. Cross the pass, turn east down the Arkansas, then as the river starts turning right, turn back north toward Lake George/Florissant. From there you'll see a straight valley NNE. Follow it down to the edge of the foothills and turn N. That route can be flown at 9500-10000 at the highest.

SkyHog said:
Dude - you are the man! Your advice just saved me a bunch of time on my flight planning, and the coordinate will come in VERY handy.

If you want to come see my Lobos destroy the Rams, you're invited. The ticket will be on me.

You're welcome. As Anthony can testify, I love to talk about it. I've flown this route so many times, I can close my eyes and see most of the ridges and peaks.

I'm not much on spectator sports, thanks for the offer. My nephew is a Lobo so not sure who I'd root for. But it would be fun to at least meet when you up. Let me know when and maybe we can work out a handshake at least. You probably remember I'm hangared at 3V5.

Anthony said:
Thanks Eric. You da man.

You're welcome. You know you can't stop me talking about this stuff. Lucky I can't type faster.:)

The trip down the San Luis valley in the Tiger will be beautiful. That big canopy is made for it. Hug over to the east side and you'll be looking into and up at at very spectacular mtn range. Oh and Great Sands Dunes NP looks good from the air too.

ejensen said:
You're welcome. You know you can't stop me talking about this stuff. Lucky I can't type faster.:)

The trip down the San Luis valley in the Tiger will be beautiful. That big canopy is made for it. Hug over to the east side and you'll be looking into and up at at very spectacular mtn range. Oh and Great Sands Dunes NP looks good from the air too.

I'll do a flight plan when it gets close to going (I have no date yet) and if you have some time, I'll run it by you for comments, etc.

Anthony said:
I'll do a flight plan when it gets close to going (I have no date yet) and if you have some time, I'll run it by you for comments, etc.

Be glad to. We're having the annual planning meeting this weekend for CPA 2006 fly-ins. Should come up with an interesting schedule. Maybe we'll see you and Bonnie on one.

ejensen said:
You're welcome. As Anthony can testify, I love to talk about it. I've flown this route so many times, I can close my eyes and see most of the ridges and peaks.

I'm not much on spectator sports, thanks for the offer. My nephew is a Lobo so not sure who I'd root for. But it would be fun to at least meet when you up. Let me know when and maybe we can work out a handshake at least. You probably remember I'm hangared at 3V5.

Yeah, I remember you saying you're hangared there. We'll definitely have to meet up. I'll be up there 2nd week of Feb. I'll talk to you when we get a bit closer.

Back