L-4 Grasshopper

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Anybody out there have or know somebody with an L-4 Grasshopper ?
I'd like to get them to come to the 6Y9 Fly-In .
6Y9 was a training field for the Army Air Corp. back during WWII,the planes were originally based out of Kentucky somewhere,and were brought up to practice flying in extreme cold and fly on ski's.(They stayed to fly in the summer also.)
We could get some TV coverage for GA aviation and they could show off their plane.( And maybe I could get a ride.:rolleyes:)
Any idea's on how to track some of these down?

Anybody out there have or know somebody with an L-4 Grasshopper ?
I'd like to get them to come to the 6Y9 Fly-In .
6Y9 was a training field for the Army Air Corp. back during WWII,the planes were originally based out of Kentucky somewhere,and were brought up to practice flying in extreme cold and fly on ski's.(They stayed to fly in the summer also.)
We could get some TV coverage for GA aviation and they could show off their plane.( And maybe I could get a ride.:rolleyes:)
Any idea's on how to track some of these down?

The way we've done it in the past for our air shows is to search in the FAA database for the airplane we're looking for and contact the owner. You could also contact the CAF Wisconsin Wing, or the Minnesota Wing. They may know of someone...go here... http://commemorativeairforce.org/?page=cms/googleMap&cms_page=1333

There are several wings and squadrons in your neck of the woods. The operations officer for each wing will know what privately owned airplanes are available.

There is an International Liaison Pilot and Aircraft Association. Here's a link: http://www.centercomp.com/ILPA/

Good luck!

Thanks for the leads.
I'll see what I can come up with.
I saw on the one site there was over 5000 L-4's built, hopefully there not all converted bush planes in Alaska, and there's a few close by.

Anybody got a yellow one they want painted drab green ,FREE, I've got a roller and a brush:nono:

If you are able to make Airventure this summer I'd be glad to introduce you to the Liason lead in the warbird parking area. He should be able to hook you up with someone nearby. There's usually a half dozen or so L-4's attending.

PM me for contact info.

The way we've done it in the past for our air shows is to search in the FAA database for the airplane we're looking for and contact the owner.

Hmmm. I just did this, and they only show 19 L-4's. I would imagine that most of them are probably registered as J-3's. :dunno:

Thanks Kim
I got in touch with ILPA and Bill gave me names of 14 pilots in the Midwest with L-4's.I hope all are still in Military paint and markings.
Hopefully 1 or more of them can make it to the 6Y9 Fly-In.
Heck, we'd like to see your "Bird Dog" there:rolleyes:.

Back