KX155 & KX165 Confusion/question

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
I have a couple of questions for the gurus out there among us. I have been flying my friends 2003 C-182T quite a bit yesterday. As with most of us, I generally navigate using the IFR GPS. Yesterday, I flew a few hours and just started looking closer at the other avionics. This is what generates the questions.

#1 I was always under the impression that the big difference between the KX155/165 was that the 165 had a function to display the radial of the selected VOR frequency. On this airplane, both the 155 & 165 had a "mode" button that displayed the radial/bearing to/timer function/ and something else I can't remember. The radios I see on the web don't have this.

#2 These were factory installed radios but look a lot different than the 155/165 radios that I see on some of the avionics websites or ebay. Did King make something different for the 2003 C-182T?

#3 My friend is looking to replace the existing KMD-550 MFD (w/XM weather), the KX-155 w/gs, and the King KLN-94 GPS. Where could I get an idea of the value of these items in order to post to the classifieds here or on Ebay?

Any and all responses are appreciated. :thumbsup:

You can check a number of avionics suppliers, and you can also check completed listings on Ebay. Or you can just posit a ridiculously low number and let the seller figure out what he wants for them.

The KX-155A is different from the KX-155. You're seeing a 155A with bearing, and a slightly different faceplate IIRC.

#1 I was always under the impression that the big difference between the KX155/165 was that the 165 had a function to display the radial of the selected VOR frequency. On this airplane, both the 155 & 165 had a "mode" button that displayed the radial/bearing to/timer function/ and something else I can't remember. The radios I see on the web don't have this.
According to B/K, the difference between the 165 and 155 is:
The lower-cost KX 155 system is
virtually identical in appearance to
the KX 165; however, it doesn’t include
the digital Radial readout feature.
Also, the KX 155 requires an external
VOR/LOC converter (usually included
n the appropriate Bendix/King NAV
indicator) while the KX 165 comes
with a built-in VOR/LOC converter
designed to interface directly with any
ARINC standard CDI or HSI display.
However, I do seem to remember seeing the radial function on some 155's -- or maybe I just didn't squint enough to read the 165 on the faceplate.

#2 These were factory installed radios but look a lot different than the 155/165 radios that I see on some of the avionics websites or ebay. Did King make something different for the 2003 C-182T?
Not to my knowledge -- got a picture of the radios? However, I think that 2003 182T may have the 155A, which interfaces with the KLN-94 for the "autotune" function which pushes the appropriate ATC freq into the STBY side based on location data from the GPS, and I believe the 155A has the digital radial function.

#3 My friend is looking to replace the existing KMD-550 MFD (w/XM weather), the KX-155 w/gs, and the King KLN-94 GPS. Where could I get an idea of the value of these items in order to post to the classifieds here or on Ebay?
Can't help there.

Last edited:
The KX 155 is the basic chassis that can be configured as required by the installation, the cards can be added to drive many VOL heads with or without the G/S. and Radial indicator.

The KX 165 is the Primary HSI driver, which has the cards and drivers required to do that job

Great answers, one and all! Thanks! Yes, I did find that the radios are indeed a KX155A and a KX165A. It all makes sense now. Thanks again. You may see this stuff in the classified section soon.

Back