KX-155 Repair

danhagan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
danhagan
I have a KX-155 28V with glideslope that the volume knob appears to be flaky. It works, but it is as if you pulled squelch nearly non-stop. If I leave it on but volume off for a short period and mess around with it, the squelch breakthrough seems to disappear somewhat.

Does anyone know of a good avionics repair shop that I could send this to for repair?

Can you open the radio up to get at the innards? If yes, douse the volume control rheostat with a spray can of contact cleaner. This helps in a lot of situations, and is a cheap and easy first step. -Skip

Can you open the radio up to get at the innards? If yes, douse the volume control rheostat with a spray can of contact cleaner. This helps in a lot of situations, and is a cheap and easy first step. -Skip

Haven't tried. It was in the avionics shop getting a bunch of other work done, and they indicated that they had attempted to repair/isolate the problem. It was occurring on Com1 (KX155 is Com2) and ended up replacing both antenna, coaxial to the antennas and several wires they claimed were unshielded in back of the avionics stack. Other problems were solved except this one.

I sent mine to Bevan-Rabell. You can Google them.

I sent mine to Bevan-Rabell. You can Google them.

We use them as well, quick turn around

That's who my avionics shop uses and recommends also since they no longer do bench work themselves.

Thanks guys! Talked with Bill over there and he seems extremely knowledgeable. Wants me to attempt swapping an identical radio if I can find another 28v KX-155 first to see if it can be isolated.

Sounds like you have a plan, Dan. Good!

Back