KX-155 Memory Loss

P

pmcclure

KX 155 Memory Loss

I have a KX-155 Nav/Com (actually 2) and they are not holding frequencies after shutdown. The manual says they don't have a battery but a non-volatile memory that never needs to be replaced. Any ideas on this one?

Both my KX-155 Nav/Coms are not holding memory after shutdown so I have to reset freq at start-up. Manual says there is no battery. Any ideas?

Both my KX-155 Nav/Coms are not holding memory after shutdown so I have to reset freq at start-up. Manual says there is no battery. Any ideas?

Did they begin acting this way at the same time? I've seen the inside of a KX-155 and don't recall any batteries either which leads me to believe they use some form of non-volatile solid state memory for the four frequencies.

I picked up the plane used with radios already acting this way. The manuals mention a non-volatile memory circuit "that eliminates the need to change batteries" but that is not too helpful! Seems even memory circuit would need some battery or capacitor to maintain memory??

I picked up the plane used with radios already acting this way. The manuals mention a non-volatile memory circuit "that eliminates the need to change batteries" but that is not too helpful! Seems even memory circuit would need some battery or capacitor to maintain memory??

Not exactly. There are two common forms of "non-volatile" memory. One is often referred to as "flash" memory and this is what's used in CF cards, SD cards, etc. as well as "flash drives" or "thumb drives". The other kind (which is likely what's in the KX-155 is called electrically eraseable programmable read only memory (EEPROM). These typically have much smaller capacities than flash memory but provide a way to alter very small portions of the memory without affecting the rest. It is possible that the 155 uses a supercap to povide enough power for a small static ram but I doubt it.

OK that makes sense. Since the radios are quite old, I guess we are not talking a about flash memory card. Any idea if this memory can be repaired or replaced?

OK that makes sense. Since the radios are quite old, I guess we are not talking a about flash memory card. Any idea if this memory can be repaired or replaced?

I'm sure the memory can be replaced but it might not be the memory IC that's causing the problem. I'd take the radio to a good shop. At least BK allows their dealers to work inside the radio (unlike Garmin).

Back