Kutztown, Pennsylvania Flight School Is Closing

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
It is a sad day in Kutztown, Pennsylvania. Kutztown airport (N31) has decided to close its flight school.

They will be selling all their airplanes at auction on August 9, 2008. Starman Brothers is conducting the auction (www.starmanauctions.com). This includes two straight-tail C182A?s (both equipped with towing capability, one of which has a gull-wing door for sky-diving), a C172H (also with towing capability), two C150?s (C150J and C150M), a C152, a 1989 Waco biplane (with tow capability, and full IFR!), a 1946 J3 Cub (wheels and skis), and two gliders: Krozno PZL-03 (two place), and a Schweizer 2-32 (three place). I believe he also has a 135 certificate that may be for sale, too. (IIRC, those can be sold or transferred, right?) So, if you?re in the market for any of these things, check it out.

The FBO owner said he will keep the airport open for tie-down and hangar rentals, fuel sales, and aircraft maintenance as long as possible. But the airport land is owned by the former owner of the Airport Diner (on the field), and he has wanted to sell the property for a long time. Probably the only thing keeping the airport open has been the poor economy-he hasn?t been able to get the price he?s wanting!

This has been one of the only places in the area that offers glider training and/or rides. People come from as far away as Maryland and Delaware for this.

So if you want to do any flight training in gliders, or get a tailwheel endorsement or rent a Cub, come out to Kutztown before the end of July.

I did my PPL there, and will (hopefully) soon be taking my IR checkride in the 150J. For the past three summers, I have been working there washing/waxing/mowing. It has been a great way for me as a high-school teacher to spend my summers! Now where am I going to find another Mom-and-Pop-type FBO to work/fly at?
________
CBR600RR

Last edited:
This is just sad, and until gas prices go down and the economy comes back, I think a chilling trend in the industry.

That's depressing. I think I landed at Kutztown once... nice little airports with good grass-roots flying schools have been threatened for a long time; it's awful to think of how the process could ramp up in the next few years. :(

I've often enjoyed lunch in the Diner, and watching the beautiful red biplane haul tourists up. I take it the Diner will remain open for now anyway?

Jim G

:( That stinks. Gotta love that big dip in the runway. Sigh Such a great $100 pancake place.:(

Wow, that's a shame. Small airport FBO's are feeling the hit, by reading here and on the Red board,... Wish I had the funds for a plane right now.

Bummer. I landed there on one of my solo XC's for my private :mad:

The auction has been postponed one month. The new date is September 6, 2008. It now appears the whole FBO will be up for sale, including the fuel trailer, mechanic's tools, lawnmowers, etc. Nothing is listed about it on the Starman Brothers Auction website yet, however.

We are all hoping that someone may come along, buy the whole operation, and keep it going. But if not, it doesn't look like N31 will be around much longer. Very sad news.
________
ultimate fighters

Last edited:
This is so sad.:( I have so many memories from here. I started flight training at Kutztown when I was 14 and worked there for two years. It's sad when you move on to bigger airports and watch the little ones go under. I hope someone can buy it and keep it an airport.

Back