KTGI 2nd Attempt

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
With the weather finally looking good and no threat of boomers in the area we decided to make a day of it this Friday at Tangier Island, VA. (KTGI).

Anyone in the area feel free to join in!

I spent 2 hours in the ATCT at KILG this morning working on a block glass condensation issue. It was fun to chat with the folks in the tower and pick their brain for info. They did bust my stones a little and said now that they have a face with the voice of Archer 679er I could expect "stay clear of the Delta and call back in 20" instructions. Good bunch and it seems they have some fun. Afetr watching arrivals and departures I decided that I can't take it any longer, I have to get in the air!!! Weather be dammed!
eek.gif
The Bride and I are baggin' work friday!

I spent 2 hours in the ATCT at KILG this morning working on a block glass condensation issue. It was fun to chat with the folks in the tower and pick their brain for info. They did bust my stones a little and said now that they have a face with the voice of Archer 679er I could expect "stay clear of the Delta and call back in 20" instructions. Good bunch and it seems they have some fun. Afetr watching arrivals and departures I decided that I can't take it any longer, I have to get in the air!!! Weather be dammed!
eek.gif
The Bride and I are baggin' work friday!

Yeah, I've always found them to be real nice at Wilmington. Two times come to mind.

When I was a student, our mutual friend John Taylor had me fly down there. I got cleared to land and then John keys the mic and asks if Chuck was working today. Controller comes back and says "Putting Chuck and work together in the same sentence is an oxymoron." About that time I put that sucker right down on top of the numbers...

Then last fall my wife and I were comming back from southern DE, and my route of flight was going to take me right over KILG. The controller cleared me to cross midfield at 900 msl. I got opposite the tower, keyed the mic and said that it sure was a great view of the tower from here (I was close enough to be able to see the controller). He chuckled and said that he hoped I wasn't taking pictures because he forgot to comb his hair that morning. As I was getting ready to leave his airspace I thanked him for his help and for the great view of his airport. He said I was welcome, and then added with a laugh, "I would have let you fly lower if you had asked!".

Nice folks :yes:

What a waste of flight time. I have never been to a place where not a single person would talk to us. It was a ghost town at the airport, and we figured as much. The walk towards town was strange, as we said hello to folks they said nothing not even the kids on scooters. It reminded me of some freaky Steven King novel. Maybe even qualifies for the children of the corn movie:hairraise:

Runway report - it's crappy, bumpy, has at least one hump but I thought two. There were mega cracks and weeds growing everywhere. I made one slow low pass to give it a look then actually went around on the second go trying to play the crosswind/now tailwind game. I ended up repositioning for runway 2 and set it down short and soft....So I could cut the weeds for the place I guess!

Mary and I decided to bug out. She said the place gave her the creeps! We walked back to 679er and flight planned for KOXB, Ocean City maryland. We had a great time at OC,MD.

WE had some good laughs on the way home as we passed by Dover AFB. We got to share the pattern with a C5 (opposed
eek.gif
) Yep, thats where control wanted us, between the runway and the downwind leg for the C5.

Approach-Cessna exchange...

Cessna pilot makes this hilarious call. "um, Dover approach...there is this really big plane coming right at me, I'm ok here?" I about wet myself laughing. The controller reassures the Cessna pilot he is safe and the "heavy has a visual". Well it gets better, the controller advises ME (at 3500) that the "really big plane" will be right traffic and pass by me at 3,000 caution wake turbulence. I could not help it...I keyed the mic laughing and said I have the "reeeeally big plane in sight" and confirm the right traffic, and will give the C5 plenty of room. Not long after the fun we were cut loose. I thanked the controller for his help and for the up close look at the C-5.

1) Right base r/w 2 KTGI
2) Welcome to KTGI
3)C5 at our 3 o' clock
4) Tangier Island
5) Firemans Memorial in Ocean City MD
6) No, I swear, I did not land on the beach

Attachments

• RBase rw 2.jpg
    RBase rw 2.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_1284.jpg
    100_1284.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 100_1294.jpg
    100_1294.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_1279.jpg
    100_1279.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1289.jpg
    100_1289.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1288.jpg
    100_1288.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Well at least you salvaged the day. I heard the runway was not so hot there but I'm surprised there was nothing going on there with all the beautiful weather today.

Back