KT 74 ADSB-Out Software Update

DwayneSmithUSMC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DwayneSmithUSMC
I finally upgraded my panel. I kept my existing KT 74 and added a GNS 430W and G5 DG/HSI. I was told that the transponder would be able to do ADSB-Out with just the 430W addition but apparently it needs an airspeed switch attached to the pitot system.

My avionics guy tells me that Bendix/King will be releasing a software update that will allow the unit to get the airspeed from the GPS (like other Mode S transponders) and negate the need for a physical airspeed switch.

I contacted Bendix/King and they said that the software update should come "soon", "within the next week or two". How reliable is this? I'm guessing that it's not that reliable of an estimate as everything in the aviation world that's supposed to happen "soon" takes months to years.

Sometime before 2020, knowing Honeywell, cough, Bendix/King. Maybe. LOL.

I don't know what kind of plane you have, but I satisfied the requirement by connecting to my landing gear up/down switch.

The software update is from Trig, who make the guts of the KT74 and a few other brands, not BK. The update is already available for Trig's version (the TT31) so it exists. The STC has also been updated by Peregrine. So while it may not be 1 or 2 weeks, I exxpect it within a couple of months.

I don't know what kind of plane you have, but I satisfied the requirement by connecting to my landing gear up/down switch.

Is yours certified?
My avionics guys said no way, it’s bad practice to tie into vital systems. Don’t no if that’s an industry standard or just their policy.

Back