KSWO Fly-In April 18th

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Oklahoma State University Flying Aggies is hosting a fly-in and breakfast April 18th from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm. Bring yourself, friends, moms, dads, kids, relatives twice removed or anyone else you're willing to admit you know! Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, juice and coffee. Cost is $5 per person or $3 per person in groups of three or more. There will also be a landing competition as well as a raffle for a chance to win a Sporty's gift certificate. Come for the food, fun, flying, and chance to help the Aggies go to NIFA National Competition!

KSWO Stillwater, Oklahoma

Last edited:
Hello Tristar,

Have you been practicing your spot landings?:target: I probably would come if I wasn't afraid that you would beat me.:blush: That and I would have to get up pretty early to make breakfast. Eat a cake for me.

Rick

Hah! I'm not sure I'll be flying, I think they stuck me with pancake duty. It'll be a lot of fun either way!

lol! at some point the club repainted the airplane. i think that boeing was doing a redesign or celebrating an anniversary or something to do with the 747 that year. so 747it was, and BF for Boeing Flying club, I guess.

I might be in the area that weekend. WX looks iffy up this way, so I will be driving.

Possible thunderstorms and friday and sunday but saturday looks like partly cloudy and light winds. Perfect for some landing competitions and pancakes!

is it a spot landing contest? Oh im going to have a couple folks with me. Stuewe from the Purple Board and Tim McGuiness who flew with Diana a few weeks ago at Beaumont. See you there!

It is spot landing. I'm not sure if they'll have the same rules we have to hold up to or not. I'm not in charge of that event but from what I understand each pilot signs up and who ever is drawn will be placed in what we call "heats" which is basically a group of airplanes per flight. You compete against each other as well as our team members. I'm not sure how many groups will get to go. Just a few tips: the team hasn't gotten to practice due to weather in a while, so you have an advantage. Also, we almost always use the beginning of the thousand foot marks as our aiming point. But to be considered "in the box" you must land no less than 100ft before the line and 200ft after the line. They may have lines marked with flour. Our judges will be sitting out by the runway in trucks judging each landing. Although they will be far enough from the runway, lets not scare 'em. The person who lands the closest gets a $50 Sportys gift certificate. There will also be a raffle for the other $50 gift certificate. Everyone else who comes is welcome to eat breakfast and point and laugh at the floaters!

Last edited:
looking like it should be a nice IFR trip down there. current TAFs are calling for around 900 feet. perfect!

You may be the only one that flies in! If it raises a few hundred, I'm sure they'd have the landing competition. Too bad it isn't like yesterday, clear as far as you could see.

You may be the only one that flies in! If it raises a few hundred, I'm sure they'd have the landing competition. Too bad it isn't like yesterday, clear as far as you could see.

we can't do a precision landing after the ILS???

Well you could but you'd have no one to compete against. They'll only let one person at a time on the ILS since we dont have radar services at our tower. I think the tower guys would make good pilots, they've perfected the "see and avoid" technique using binoculars!

We're still on rain or shine! Flights are also still planned. I'm leading a group for Message drop as long as weather holds up. Competing is free, just your own cost in fuel. To do message drop, the bean bags are a $5 donation with a max of 2 per flight. We'll have sign up sheets for each event. We'll have two cones set up, the objective is to get one bean bag as close as you can to each cone. Message drop is more fun with two people (one to drop, one to fly) so bring a friend! If we do landings, plans are to mark the touch down spot with cones and hopefully flour. It may not be the thousand footers. There will be a short briefing before each flight. Between flights, we'll have a few of ours on display so you're welcome to peek inside and ask questions. If you do have any questions, just look for someone in a black polo with the OSU wings logo. We will also have the local car club on display. If nothing else, come for the Pancakes, sausage, orange juice, coffee, etc!

p.s. Flight team members are not allowed to win the prizes for competitions, we're just there to guide everyone else and have some fun! So someone from the aviation community will win them. Once again, they are $50 gift certificates to sportys.

Last edited:
1500 feet here, 800 feet there. we're coming!

Well weather halted most of the flying however Tony and his friends came down in a 182 and someone else in a Bonanza. It increased later to about 700ft so our club plane got special VFR and was able to drop the bean bags. We did get a bunch of people from the community for pancakes so we were able to raise about $400 for the club. Thanks to everyone that came.

Tony texted me and said he shot the ILS down to 300.

Now THAT'S a breakfast! :yes:

Tony texted me and said he shot the ILS down to 300.

Now THAT'S a breakfast! :yes:

nothing like having to work for your breakfast. It was a good flight. I think I will write up a new thread about it though.

Yea he said that tower didn't have the approach lights on. I can't come to a conclusion why although it'd be a good idea to ask tower about it.

Back