KSPG Runway shutdown - 4/3/16

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
Posted this in another thread, but I was coming into KSPG (Albert Whitted) last night around 6 PM and ATC told me the airport was shut down due to a disabled vehicle on the runway. I didn't ask if it was a car or a plane, but apparently they needed to get a crane to remove it.

Was a pretty quick turnaround, but anyone hear anything about what happened over there?

I'd be curious also as to what happened. I landed there las weekend at about 10pm (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/N54476-1459030503-0-4), it was a diversion so I didn't have the NOTAM that Rwy 7/25 was closed...IFR plan so I get the weather and tell Tampa that I want to land Rwy 7...he didn't say anything about the closure...I come in, line up w the runway and I can see the taxiway lights but no Rwy lights...tell Tampa that I got the airport and he switches me over to CTAF....I overfly the Rwy at 500' and decide that of course I ain't landing on a dark Rwy, so I circle and land on 36...as I taxi to the ramp I see all the barricades for the closed Rwy....

Like the news reports,the airplane suffered a hard landing,looks like a simple gear collapse. Everyone on board is fine.

Like the news reports,the airplane suffered a hard landing,looks like a simple gear collapse. Everyone on board is fine.

Yeah glad everyone is ok as well. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit annoyed at the whole situation. After 7 hours in the air I didn't really want to divert and wait an hour..I did get a nice offer from a Bonanza pilot at KPIE to drive me down to KSPG where my car was parked, but that would have meant leaving the plane there, which I didn't really want to do.

Back