KSME Lake Cumberland KY

Iflydogs

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Iflydogs
Posted this on Airnav, or rather attempted to, did not show up. Set down here about 7:30 pm, absolutely no way to get out of the field without scaling a 8 foot fence topped with barbed wire. This was a first, set down in roughly 500 strips and they all have some type of code—usually squawk vfr or CTAF— to get out and in. So 2 lessons here: (1) do not land at SME unless you are a spider monkey (2) do not rely on Airnav for honest pireps.

Posted this on Airnav, or rather attempted to, did not show up. Set down here about 7:30 pm, absolutely no way to get out of the field without scaling a 8 foot fence topped with barbed wire. This was a first, set down in roughly 500 strips and they all have some type of code—usually squawk vfr or CTAF— to get out and in. So 2 lessons here: (1) do not land at SME unless you are a spider monkey (2) do not rely on Airnav for honest pireps.
Did you call the airport manager when you had trouble getting out?

I had a similar issue at a small county airport in Arkansas. My parents were waiting on the other side of the fence, too. :D

No answer from the airport manager nor county number listed, which didn't surprise me given it was a Saturday. Thankfully someone came by to work on their airplane, and they said the code was the local zip code. :rolleyes2:

Did you pull up close to any gates with openers?
I ran a self storage for 30 years. Every so often I would get the call that someone who could not get out. Explained to them to pull up to the gates and it would open. Or anything metal dragged across the ground where the sensor wires are embedded will cause the gate to open.

Did you call the airport manager when you had trouble getting out?
No I scaled the fence, not too many many scratches to worry about. As far as using the gate proximity sensor, apparently I do not have enough iron in my diet! Could not trigger it. I mean , I landed there and was trapped inside, no vehicle to trigger the sensor, just my flabby body.

No I scaled the fence, not too many many scratches to worry about. As far as using the gate proximity sensor, apparently I do not have enough iron in my diet! Could not trigger it. I mean , I landed there and was trapped inside, no vehicle to trigger the sensor, just my flabby body.
A metal trash can lid works well for that purpose (assuming you can find one around the airport)

Dave

Our local FBO changed hours now closes at 7pm. Charge to get out by calling is $250.
They didn't post time on website or update signs either. Some mad pilots and families who have gotten bit by that. Not much of a GA friendly airport in several ways.
Sad.

Back