KSLR Fly-in cancelled due to storm damage

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
My friend was on her way to LadiesLoveTailDraggers fly-in in Texas this week. She got as far as North Carolina (from Connecticut) when they cancelled the event due to weather. This is the notice she received: "Just in from Joey Baker @ KSLR: This afternoon’s thunderstorms tore part of the roof off the KSLR terminal building, Ag-Cat is on top of the fuel trucks and doors are blown in at Legend Cub. Other damage is being evaluated. The LadiesLoveTaildraggers KSLR Texas Fly-in is cancelled."

http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com/blog/ladieslovetaildraggers-tx-fly-in-cancelled/

IMG_48541.jpg

airport1.jpg

http://www.ksstradio.com/2015/05/25/airport-damage/

Sheesh. I parked right by the fuel trucks to refuel on Friday night. Those crop dusters were there and were tied down.

I'll post a "before" shot of one of 'em later...

Believe that's an Air Tractor. AgCats are biplanes.

We've been hit very hard around here. Gonna take a while to recoup.

Man, you guys are having really crazy weather this year...:yes: Glad I got my plane out of there when I did:hairraise:

This is a real bummer!!!!

I had a CAP meeting last night about fifty feet from where that picture was taken. The planes are gone, but the trucks haven't moved. The trucks alone were quite a sight.

The only reason I can come up with for that incident cancelling the "Ladys Love Taildraggers" event is that there are now no fuel trucks available at the airport. They have stationary fuel availability, so I can't understand why this is canceling the fly in.

Weather on the other hand..... yeah, there might be a few short windows for getting in and out, but there won't be much flying.

I was really looking forward to attending this event. I love ladies, and I love taildraggers.:D

I take it back about the trucks not being moved since the picture. When I looked at the picture again, I realized that the picture was taken by the new terminal building. The trucks had been moved near the old terminal building which is now occupied by CAP.

Last edited:
The full message from their website:

Just in from Joey Baker @ KSLR: This afternoon’s thunderstorms tore part of the roof off the KSLR terminal building, Ag-Cat is on top of the fuel trucks and doors are blown in at Legend Cub. Other damage is being evaluated. The LadiesLoveTaildraggers KSLR Texas Fly-in is cancelled.

Additionally:

Rain & thunderstoms have plagued Texas for weeks on end. The ground is super saturated with additional heavy rain on the way.
Sunday (yesterday) they received 2.6″ additional rain
Today they are receiving 2″ – 3″ more
The rain & thunderstorm outlook for Wednesday is 80%, Thursday 50%, Friday 60%, Saturday/Sunday 50% to 60%.
There is no rain date. The 2015 fly-in is cancelled. I’m very, very sorry but mother nature presented a situation this year no one could have forecast. Our condolences to anyone at Sulphur Springs with damage. I want to thank Joey Baker at KSLR for the incredible amount of time and energy he personally put into planning and organizing this event. You may not realize the effort it takes to plan and coordinate a good fly-in, but I guarantee you, we owe Joey much. If you have time, please drop him an email expressing your appreciation: jbaker[at]sulphurspringstx[dot]org.

Back