KSAV and Exploring the Georgia Coast

rangerz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rangerz
Had enjoyable weekend on Tybee Island using KSAV as our base. Sheltair arranged a rental car with Hertz and it was at our plane within minutes of shutdown and minimal paperwork on the pick up or drop off. Tybee is a fun island and pretty low key in the off season.

2024-02-23 19.33.14.png
Tybee Island Lighthouse

Leaving on a Sunday, Savannah and Jacksonville Center controlers were working it with tons of VFR traffic descending on St Simons and Jekyll Island. Took almost 10 minutes to catch a break with the Savannah Ground/CLR controller to get my VFR squawk and taxi while he was deconflicting airliners and Gulfstreams trying to get past each other. Lots of coastal traffic north and southbound converging on St Simons and Jekyll. Both airports share the same CTAF.

sav-09J_1.2.1.jpg
Departing Savannah Runway 10

sav-09J_1.5.1.jpg
St Simons flyby on the way to Jekyll (09J)

sav-09J_1.1.1.jpg
Jekyll Island Runway 36

You can borrow a golf cart for 2, for 2 hours at Jekyll or rent multiple size carts for 1/2 or full days right from the FBO. We will no doubt try to go for a weekend sometime later this spring.

sav-09J_2.1.1.jpg
Departing Jekyll Island

Had enjoyable weekend on Tybee Island using KSAV as our base. Sheltair arranged a rental car with Hertz and it was at our plane within minutes of shutdown and minimal paperwork on the pick up or drop off. Tybee is a fun island and pretty low key in the off season.

View attachment 125881
Tybee Island Lighthouse

Leaving on a Sunday, Savannah and Jacksonville Center controlers were working it with tons of VFR traffic descending on St Simons and Jekyll Island. Took almost 10 minutes to catch a break with the Savannah Ground/CLR controller to get my VFR squawk and taxi while he was deconflicting airliners and Gulfstreams trying to get past each other. Lots of coastal traffic north and southbound converging on St Simons and Jekyll. Both airports share the same CTAF.

View attachment 125882
Departing Savannah Runway 10

View attachment 125883
St Simons flyby on the way to Jekyll (09J)

View attachment 125884
Jekyll Island Runway 36

You can borrow a golf cart for 2, for 2 hours at Jekyll or rent multiple size carts for 1/2 or full days right from the FBO. We will no doubt try to go for a weekend sometime later this spring.

View attachment 125885
Departing Jekyll Island
Jekyll is one of our favorite destinations and the Red Bugs are so much fun!!!

Great info! My bride and I are heading down for a week in Savanah on the 29th.

Did you tie down or hangar?

Back